Thread: Electric blanket??

skyelar Guest

Default Electric blanket??

Just wondering if anyone else has an electric blankie on their bed? I am sure I have read it is dangerous to use one during pregnancy~is this because your body temp is raised? I turn mine on to heat the bed but turn it off when I get in. By 2-3am I am freezing again & have turned it on low a few times.

Ohhh I am just so cold at night!

I hadn't read anything about that!!

Isn't the cold awful! I used to be a sleeper-on-3 kinda girl, my parents used to call me a reptile, ie, couldn't produce my own body heat

On not so cold nights, I can usually get away with using DH as a hot water bottle, but on really cold ones, I start at 3 and then turn down to 1 when I get in. If I get too hot, I'll wake up. (This only happens when the blanket's on 1 AND DH has decided to snuggle - he's a warm body I just kick him back to his side and have some water)

I imagine we have to be careful with our blankets cos it's easier to overheat now with our higher body temps, but maybe give setting number 1 a try on the cold nights.
    And/or extra blankets? I have a massive mink blanket I used to use, but it makes DH too hot...still, they're really warm!
    Hope you find something that works for you, and someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Yes, electric blanket usage can raise the body temperature to dangerous levels for the baby and because it is a "constant" heat, the body cannot regulate itself accordingly. The same applies for very hot baths and saunas.

Everything I have read recommends avoiding the saunas and hot baths and putting an extra blanket on the bed instead of using an electric blanket or taking a hot water bottle to bed with you.

Of course the other thing that occurs to me is that if we had an unexpected "loss" of fluid whilst sleeping with an electric blanket, that could be dangerous as well. Not sure if I have ever seen that written anywhere though.

Lisa

skyelar Guest

Thanks Nelle & Lisa. LMHO @ a sleeper-on-3 that is so me!!! I hate the cold!!!

I have the same problem with my DH getting too hot but I guess I will have to just get another blanket for my side.

Thanks again girls here's to some warm nights hey!

Tell me about it! Living in Tassie has its advantages, but winter nights aren't amongst them! LOL

I've now OFFICIALLY got my arctic-rated feather and down doona, a crocheted rug, an eiderdown and a mink blanket on my bed. Oh and a very cuddly Staffordshire Bull Terrier who is probably the best hotwater bottle I could find!

Lisa