Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EPI NO.

chelleg Guest

Hi Michelle, I haven't done any research into the EPI-NO, but one of the girls i've worked with sustained a very nasty tear during the birth of her son and consequently had some pelvic floor weakness. She bought the EPI-NO as a pelvic floor trainer and it as done wonders for her. She has brilliant control now and will recommend the EPI-NO to anyone and everyone

Thanks Chelleg. It is good to hear feedback on the pelvic floor part of it. It is an expensive tool for a few weeks for perineal stretching but if it helps with pelvic floor strength (my biggest fear really) then it might be something to invest in.

Hi everyone,

I bought the epi-no b4 i had DS, and although i maintain that i used it according to their directions (it said basically, i forget the wording now, but "inflate and push out" kind of thing..they say thats not what you are supposed to do), i didn't over-inflate it (says to go up gradually), and pushed it out and then 5 mins later started bleeding. My obs said basically i gave myself an internal tear. As i was about 2 weeks before my EDD i didn't use it again, as i wanted to give myself as much time to heal b4 the birth so i could avoid tearing then.

Anyway, they said i didn't use it properally (maybe they were afraid i would sue??), i said i did, but my advice is just to do it very slowly (it didn't even hurt pushing it out), to avoid this.

I can't tell you whether it works to avoid tearing, but i am still planning on using it b4 my next birth, and when i get off my backside, am planning on using it for pelvic floor strengthening which i desperately need... I already have a slight prolapse, and leak every time i sneeze :eek:

Anyway, not trying to put people off it, but just letting people know what problems i had so they can avoid them.

I got the one with the pressue guage you can read, and except for the bleeding thing, was quite happy with it.

In the end i had the vacuum, so did have 2x 1st degree tears (which although for my whole pregnancy was my worst fear, that an an episiotomy), it wasn't so bad, so even if you do tear a little bit, you really don't have to be upset & dissapointed...

Good luck with your decision.

Yael

What is an EpiNo

Google it to get the website - it will explain better than I can. Simply, it is a device to assist in perineal stretching prior to delivery but it also has uses for assiting and assessing pelvic floor strength.

There are pros and cons for its use.

I used the EpiNo, but only got to 7cm with it.. since DS came nearly 3 weeks early

I never pushed it out, but it took effort to keep it in there coz my body was trying to push it out on its own! lol. I don't recall it saying to push it out?

Anyway, I only seemed to increase by 1/2cm every couple of days, so it was very gradual for me. But, I didn't tear during labour, and the dr & midwife were pleased with my 2nd stage, saying I did really well (but then they might tell everyone that LOL).

I recommend it, and I think it gave me some confidence that yes it CAN stretch enuf for a baby, even tho I didnt' get up to the full 10cm. hehe. I just felt that I wouldn't be able to do the hand massage properly, so opted for the mechanical.

I've had no probs with pelvic floor, and have never used the epino for it either. In fact I was very slack all round with pelvic floor... the midwives everyday after the birth said am I doing the exercises, and I lied and said yes. LOL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12