Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excess hair - OMG!

Default Excess hair - OMG!

I was mentioning in another thread that I have been so very lucky (not) to be blessed with a ridiculous amount of excess hair since falling pregnant. Gotta love the hormones!

I get waxed every 6 weeks (have done for years) so the usual areas are taken care of but just recently I've noticed I have a fine growth under my chin! Most of the hair is very light coloured (I'm dark haired) so I'm grateful for that but they're quite long and stand out a bit when I'm in the right (wrong?!) light. I didn't think anyone else had noticed them but my mum pointed them out to me on Friday nad my DH affectionality informed me yesteday that he still loves me, even if I do have a beard!! Glad he's not concerned about it but I'm starting to get a bit selfconcious now!!!

Has anyone else had this problem? Would you suggest waxing? I'm a bit scared to start waxing it as I don't want to wax under my chin for the rest of my life, especially as I've never had hair there before so there's a good chance it will disappear after the birth. But can I put up with it for THAT long and will it disappear down the track?

Any suggestions for this hairy pregnant woman?!

Argh! I know how you feel, i woke up with half a mo' one day and FREAKED when i just fell pregnant. I plucked it and it didnt grow back(thank god!)
    I would say try plucking it first, even though you wax usually your face is much more sensitive and how bad would a rash be??!! good luck

I had the same problem with my pg - hair growing in places it doesn't normally. I had hair on my face with DS (it was actually more like fur it was so thick but it was fair so not hugely noticeable). If you can live with it, just leave it because it all falls out or goes away after you have the baby. Lol at your DH - glad to hear that he is being so loving and supportive. They really have no idea at times.

My hair from my head gets really thick too while I am pg and falls out afterwards from 3 months onwards. After my last pg, my hairdresser asked if I was having chemo because of all the hair I was losing. Hair and pg seem to go hand in hand.

It's strange, my hair growth seems to slow when I am preg in all the shaving/plucking areas. I lost tonnes of my hair on my head after DD for months and months, it never really stopped to be honest til I got pg again.

Now I am wondering something coz we didnt find out boy or girl.. do you think excess hair is a boy thing due to the testosterone or it is a myth? If its not a myth then maybe I am haivng another girl Would like to point out however that everyone is convinced its a boy this time..

Do you know what you are having yet Taurean?

I developed a snail trail during pregnancy. I HATED IT. Luckily, it has disappeared now! I just left it because everyone warned me that removing it might make it grow back thicker and I really didn't want to risk that happening haha.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone on my hairy journey!!! I spoke to my beautician and she said if we wax it, it won't come back thicker and or darker as it's hormone related so I think I'm going to be rid of the dreaded beard!! LOL!

Netty - interesting thought! We're not finding out the sex so I'm not sure. My sister had 2 boys though and had no significant hair growth so I don't think it's an indicator of the sex but anything is possible!

Yeah my pregnant belly has developed a very fine layer of fuzz. I hate it.

Even my eyebrows have needed to be waxed more often!

Yes. I am the Bearded Lady. Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas.....

Waxing it doesn't hurt and I don't get a rash. I imagine plucking could probably hurt more.

I have given up on my eyebrows for the moment. I feel like I'm waxing those things every five seconds. I've resigned myself to John Howard eyebrows.

I am making another boy (I had exactly the same issue with DS), so I am determined to believe I have testosterone running through the blood.

My DH and I both shave in front of the mirror in the morning - JOKE JOYCE. It feels like maybe I should be though.

I use the warm wax (stuff you can heat up in the microwave and is already quite liquid). I use it for my eyebrows. Just don't do your chin before you go out - do it before you go to bed. You do get a red chin (just like you do with eyebrows). By the time you wake up in the morning it's gone.

Boy, I'm the resident chin waxing expert. How embarrassing.

I know exactly how you feel, although mine isn't from pregnancy. I have had excess hair issues all my life due to PCOS. I shave my arms and side of face, probably should wax but can't handle the pain. Looking into lazer after Peanut is born.

As for the chin, I pluck mine cause I don't have lots of hairs there, but my mum waxes. I'm fairly sure she's never had any rashes or anything so I reckon you should be sweet

I'm feeling even better now - thanks girls! I get waxed every 6 weeks (everywhere!) so my beautician is going to tackle my new 'beard' at my next appointment. She did my belly for me last time too - that's another preggy related fur patch!

I have a some light fine hair on my stomach as well but have read it goes away after the birth. It isn't worth me whining over because you can hardly notice it so I'll just wait and see if it goes away after birth

Yep I had it to when pregnant with DS!
    It was under my chin and around the sides of my face. I read in what to expect when your expecting that it is usually when you are having a boy as you are producing testosterone for him! Just lovely! It wasn't long after birth that it dissapeared.
    Never had it through my other pregnancies one is a girl an the other we find out in 2weeks so lets see if the theory is true.

I think I am one of the oddities, I didn't get any extra hair other than the snail trail on my belly - which hung around for 5 years and got thicker with this pregnancy! I've found I'm shaving legs and underarms less and plucking eyebrows is now monthly instead of fortnightly. The hair on my head has always been thick and I never noticed a change with DD or even now. I guess I have to think how lucky I am when I read what you guys are going though!

ryatha...we you sound lucky like me. The only extra hair I have noticed is the tiniest of little fine hairs that have come on my stomach but you can hardly notice them! Other then that nothing else!

Wink

LMAO at all you bearded ladies

I too suffer ..lucky It's light on my face but wow is the hair long, I can actually pull it down and get a good grip on it...my sister mentioned yesterday I have small spikey looking ones too I think I may get my faced waxed, the rest I can hide with clothing

I wouldnt reccommend waxing, as hair usually grows back twice as long, and a lot darker.

Just let it go and see if it gets much worse, or as mentioned above, maybe just pluck it.

Ive got the worst snail trail happening on my tummy, from my belly button to the top of my vagina area.

what causes extra hair to grow? is it just hormones, and how come people experience it in different areas?

Quote Originally Posted by first_time_mummy View Post
    I wouldnt reccommend waxing, as hair usually grows back twice as long, and a lot darker.

Just let it go and see if it gets much worse, or as mentioned above, maybe just pluck it.

Ive got the worst snail trail happening on my tummy, from my belly button to the top of my vagina area.

what causes extra hair to grow? is it just hormones, and how come people experience it in different areas?
    Yep, it's just the hormones hon. It's like a double whamy of puberty. As for where it grows and how much, that depends on your genes I guess and whether you're normally hairy or not.

To wax or not to wax - I spoke to my beautician a couple of weeks back girls and she said she would be hesitant to wax light hair as it has a tendancy to grow back dark. If the hair is already dark, it should be reasonably safe to wax though. We've opted to leave my 'beard' (I'm going to overtake DH soon!!) for now as it's only really noticable in the right light and it should fall out after Tarko arrives. I figure I can hide it with scarves and high neck jumpers over winter - LOL!

Meo Guest

I am the bearded lady also, but that's due to PCOS, not pregnancy

Occaisionally I get my arms waxed, usually just legs and bikini line though. I did wax my chin and upper lip but now I'm doing Variable Pulsed Light treatment (like Intense Pulsed Light but can be adapted to your skin tone) and it's AMAZING. The hair is actually going away for the first time since forever. It's not a big deal, I know, but it's really affected my self esteem and now I can see it going, I'm feeling much better about the whole thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast