Thread: Fatty Liver?

Default Fatty Liver?

Hey All,

I am kinda concerned about my liver. It hurts like hell. Really tender to the touch (just under my lower right hand side rib cage). It was sore a few weeks ago, but bearable - and seems to have gotten worse. I've also been getting what I thought was morning sickness back again (nausea).

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with "acute fatty liver of pregnancy" - or knows anything about it? I'm otherwise healthy - just tired and the normal pg-type complaints. BP is really good.

I feel like a hypochondriac - the fatty liver thing only happens in about 1 in 13000 pregancies, so it's unlikely - but it really hurts darnit!!!!

Juliette

Hope you are ok - it's hard not to worry sometimes when you are carrying a precious baby isn't it.

Maybe you should see a doctor to put your mind at ease. The pains might just be ligament/muscular pain that is worsening as your pregnancy progresses. Remember, there's a whole lotta baby in there and heaps of relaxin and other hormones preparing you for the birth.

Anyway, hope you are not worrying too much - rest up and keep well.

Best wishes

Juliette - please please please ring your obstetrician.

Do you have any other symptoms like: lower back pain, headaches (especially behind the eyes), lots of fluid (oedema), flashes before your eyes?

If so, please read our thread in the "general pg discussion" about high blood pressure.

Thanks for the replies girls...I rang my OB, and he wants to see me at 5:15pm. Hopefully we can get this sorted out.

I don't have high BP (it's consistently around 110/60)....but I feel like crap. A bit of lower back pain, and very puffy feet and hands (also carpal tunnel). No out of the ordinary headaches or flashes. It's mainly this excruciating liver pain, and nausea.

I have an ultrasound organised for tomorrow - will try to get them to take a look at the liver. Just to be sure.

Juliette

Hope your appointment goes well and that you get some answers.

Let us know how you go

Best wishes

HUGE Jules... So sorry, I didnt get to read this thread until just now, and its too late to call you
    Sorry to hear that you're not feeling so good...
    I am [-o< ing that everything has gone ok at the Dr's.... please, please let me know how you are... I'm really worried about you!

Thanks girls! The Doc thinks it's more likely to be my gall bladder than my liver, 'cos it's only sore in a very localised part under my right rib cage.

My Mum had to have her gall bladder out after I was born, and apparently susceptability to gall stones are hereditary. If the pain gets any worse, the doc said he'll put me in hospital on painkillers and try to get through the next few weeks so bubs is a little older. Apparently it's pretty risky trying to operate/remove the gall bladder while pregnant, and babies usually don't cope very well. I'm not willing to risk anything happening to bubs. The baby seems pretty happy and healthy in there, and gall stones won't affect the baby at all - just me! Good to know.

I am having a scan this afternoon anyway (just an obstetric one), but the doc has included a request for a good look at the gall bladder while they're at it. It's pretty hard to see in pregnancy though 'cos it's tucked up under the ribs....

Hope to have more answers this arvo.

Glad to hear you are (largely) ok Juliette.

Hope you have a great ultrasound today - will check in on you later!

Best wishes

Awww Jules.....
    I guess its a good thing that it can't harm your little bubba, but its terrible that it has to put you through so much pain!
    I remember the same thing happening to my sister over Christmas (Pol) and she had severe pains and nausea too...
    Did the Dr recommend you change your diet at all? I think if you steer clear of any ultra fatty or sugary foods that can help to keep the inflammation & pain down a bit?
    I'm thinking of you babe, and I [-o< the pain of it goes away/calms down a bit....