Thread: feeling paranoid

Default feeling paranoid

im feeling very anxious . I have been reading some articles on listeria and i saw that its not such a good thing to be eating chicken sandwiches from sandwich bars. i have eaten a few chicken sandwiches....is this bad for my baby and is this a high risk for listeria?

Sara

TeganRheana Guest

I have been paranoid too about getting listeria as when I was 5 wks I ate a cheese board with soft cheeses etc on it, I have also had ice creams from maccas and salami on pizzas, and atm becasue I am so lazy (haha) I have been getting those pre-packed mixed fresh salads from the supermarket so that I dont have to cut up salads etc ..which has been concerning me...BUT there are sooooooooooo many things that you could get listeria from...just eat in moderation n you will be fine I read a thing today saying that listeria is actually really uncommon it affect like 1:20000 people or something.

thanx its good to know that its not common

I think with any foods and obviously there are ones with higher risks, that if it doesn't look, smell or taste right, don't eat it. I have eaten chicken occassionally from a sandwich bar, but they are really clean, hygenic with their food preparation and practices when making sandwiches etc.... I also eat sushi (but not raw fish). I have forgone the macca's sundaes b/c a gf used to work at macca's and told me about the sundae machine (yuk!).

Listeria is a risk in all stages of our lives, and not just pregnancy. Its just that we are more easily able to get a touch of food poisening when we are preg. But the risks are very low. If you are going to have a chicken sandwich from somewhere - make sure the place is clean, foods are all kept cold, staff wear gloves etc, no flys - you know, just generally looks good and clean. I do avoid going to lunch bars in industrial areas (which is where i work) but, sandwich bars in citys, shopping centres etc i imainge would be fine.
    I choose to avoid the risk 90% of the time - everynow and then i give in. Remember that listeria risk has only been around for about 10 or so years, so just ensure that you are eating healthy, and from decent and clean places - which i am sure you do anyway as part of your everyday eating out.