Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Out Sex of Baby....

mummymeegs Guest

Default Finding Out Sex of Baby....

I have my 19 week scan in a couple of days and I am having the "will we or wont we's?" Initially I was all for it and hard a hard time convincing DH that it was a good idea. Now he is all for it and I am not sure. We didn't find out with our first and it was pretty amazing when he was born and we got to find out for ourselves. But is wanting to know for practicalitys sake enough?? Will the surprise be what will help me get through the birth.... give me more inspiration? I am 50% either way!! Has anyone else been in the situation with their second?? Did you or didn't you? Why or why not? And are you happy that you made the decision that you made??
    Help!!!!

Ask the sonographer to write it down and put it in an envelope and seal it. that way you can open later if you don't want to know on the day

Love

mummymeegs Guest

That is a great idea!! Wooo.. Think of the temptation!! Thank you for your advice!!

I was going to say the exact same thing Kat!!

LOL Only because I said to do that in another thread hehehe

I think it is great to find out because then you can have the fun of knowing what to buy...But it is nice not to know too...lol
    I think the envelope thing is a great idea!

mummymeegs Guest

Thanks for the link Kate... So, did you find out in the end???

Sal Guest

I found out for my first and will find out again for my second. What's the big deal, really? I mean, it is a great surprise when you find out, it's just a matter of a number of weeks' difference in when you find out. Meeting bub is an amazing thing and you are meeting a unique little person for the first time, so it's hardly like the excitement isn't there if you already know the sex.

I have found out with all 3 of mine.......DH was reticent at first, but then felt able to bond better with a preggie belly bump as he knew the gender, so I am glad we did.

With Olivia it was from the 20 week scan, with Charlie is was from the amniocentisis results, and with this third pregnancy it was from the CVS results.

I like the idea of a surprise at birth, but I am too much of a control freak to wait!! LOL!

I guess its totally a personal decision, but we wanted to find out so we could be more organised and not just dress our baby in white and yellow when hes born.. also cos im too impatient to wait!
    I know alot of people prefer to wait to have a "surprise" but in my opinion, we have already had a surprise and will get another when hes born. I dont feel we will miss out on anything.

mummymeegs Guest

Kate - Oops.. of course you are!! It must be that affliction that my husband affectionately calls "placenta head".

My scan is on the 19th and I think you have all convinced me to do it!!! I really have a huge feeling that it is a girl so we will see... If we do find out we will keep it a secret as my DH also likes to make that call from the delivery suite!! But I may have to let it slipto you guys

We found out with both of ours - I felt it was like having the baby half way through ! Ringing family and telling them we were having a boy ! Plus, I could also clear out first baby's pink clothes and buy blue. The envelope idea sounds good.

I found out second time not the first and there is no way my labour would've been better/easier etc if I'd not known her sex. I was SO excited to meet her, in a way more than the first because I felt I knew her already. It was a double suprise, finding out half way and then meeting her. Nothing can take away from meeting your bub for the first time, it is always going to be the most amazing thing. I still think of the moment she was put on my stomach and I just get tingles, it was unbelievable and it was not at all a let down in anyway because I knew she was Coco!
    xoxo

I was just thinking about the whole, finding out when the baby is born... I didn't find out with #1 or #2. With #2, after birthing her I relly didn't care what gender she was! It didn't even bother me... so I think if I were to find out earlier it wouldn't have made any difference.
    So maybe what I am trying to say is that maybe finding out half way through your pregnancy can become a special day that you can celebrate, a day that you won't have when your baby is born. Because once the baby arrives that in itself is the celebration.

I found out with #3, and found it great for emotional preperation (I was wanting a boy but we were expecing our 3rd girl).

It's great the feeling of not knowing, but it doesn't dampen the whole experience if you do know the gender of your child.

I think this post was a pro finding out one lol

Tanya

allyfield Guest

I have my 20th week scan in 4 weeks and I was undecided whether to find out or not but I think I am going to do the envelope thing, that is a great idea! Hopefully the sonographer won't mind doing it.

Ally.

I don't find out till the 24th now, they rang and had to change my appointment

mummymeegs Guest

Well... You are a convincing lot!! I have made the decision to find out. DH and I are going to keepit to ourselves as we know people will just turn it into something that we arent ready for for at least another 23 weeks!!! It is a little easier for us as all of our family is interstate so they wont see the pinkor blue walls of the nursery!!! Thank You all for your help!!

Hey,
    We didn't find out the sex of Jessica and I truly loved it. I am a person who spoils surprises and HAS to know everything straight away and it surprised me that I didn't want to know the sex. When we have another child, we won't find out either. In reference to being better organised, I like to dress Jessica in all different colours of the rainbow, not purely pink but when she was born, I received a whole wardrobe of pink things, so the neutral colours I had bought blended right in.
    Also, it makes more fun for the guessing game. I'm sure you've had people telling you that they're ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED you're having a girl or a boy. It was funny to have people arguing over if we were having a boy or a girl.
    Finding out the sex is purely a personal thing and I see pros and cons of both sides.
    I think the envelope thing is a wonderful idea, but in all honesty, that wouldn't work for me. It would be like putting a tin of lollies in front of a child and telling them not to eat them. I would have that envelope ripped open right away! LOL.
    Good luck with your decision!
    Jayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast