Thread: fish

Default fish

Hi

What fish is safe to eat when pregnant?

Sara

i heard no fish that live deep sea like swordfish because they have more mercury.... middle of depth fish and shallow fish are fine in moderation from what i understand... someone correct me if i am wrong though...

I have heard the bigger the fish, the worse they are.
    Stay clear of swordfish, shark etc.

The Australian Dietary Guidelines advise eating one or two meals with fish every week for good health. Pregnant women can safely eat one or two meals of fish each week but they should choose the type of fish carefully.

Avoid fish with high levels of mercury - these are billfish (swordfish, broadbill and marlin), shark (flake), orange roughy (sea perch), gemfish, southern blue fin tuna and catfish.
    Limit other fish, such as tuna steaks, to one portion per week or two 140g cans of tuna per week (smaller tuna contain less mercury).
    There is no restriction needed on the amount of salmon, including canned salmon, which is eaten.
    Anchovies and sardines should be OK. Im not sure about muscles and oysters though.
    Most shellfish are filter feeders and can absorb all sorts of yucky stuff. I think I would give them a miss. Also I would not advise eating any raw fish or shellfish.

If you visit the foodauthoritynswgovau website, there is a printable wallet sized card that has the recommendations on it.