thread: food question?

Add Stevie on Facebook

Apr 2009
    Sunshine Coast

Question food question?

Hi ladies,
    i just have a question about foods
    i know we arent supoosed to eat yoghurt (coz of teh bacteria and such) but what about chocolate yogos? ya know like the kids ones? i looked and theres no egg like custard has..
    i just wana be safe than sorry i probly should have asked BEFORE i brought some and have it in my fridge calling my name
    thanks for the help

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Hi Stevie

You absolutely CAN eat yoghurt!! It is so good for you!
    And as far as I know yogo is fine too (The custard is cooked, so no raw eggs )

HTH

Feb 2007

I have never heard you can't eat yoghurt? I actually thought the bacteria in yoghurt was good for things like thrush which can be common in pregnancy? Hopefully someone who knows will post in here.
    I would think the yogos are fine.

ETA thanks Limeslice.

Add Stevie on Facebook

Apr 2009
    Sunshine Coast

my doctor told me that...
    or maybe im just confused...
    LOL
    good so i can eats my yogo then

May 2008
    Melbourne

i am almost 100% sure you can eat yohurt! so enjoy your yogos!!! yum!!

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

Can't say I've heard that you can't eat yogurt... I ate heaps of it. Custard is ok too, like limeslice said, the egg isn't raw.

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

Check your custard ingredients. Most of the pre-made ones actually don't have any egg and are thickened with cornflour. Most custard powders are egg-free too, if you make your own.

Nov 2008
    Perth

Yoghurt is absolutely fine hon (providing it hasn't reached its use by date) and it's extremely good for you - it's full of live, good bacteria! Get a dose of it every day if you can!!!

I did read on one of the Australian food standard tables just this week that custard should be eaten hot only which suprised me especially as I've been eating cold custard almost daily! I'm checking this with my OB this week though.

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

Hi Stevie

You absolutely CAN eat yoghurt!! It is so good for you!

HTH
    Ohhhh, thank god.
    I just saw this thread and started sh#tting myself, as i have been living off yoghurt these past few weeks, and i didnt even think of the bacteria factor....

But im so glad you said it was okay...

my heart stopped when i first read that it was bad for us during pregnancy

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

Yum chocolate yogo! I haven't had one of those in years, think I'm going to have to grab some on my way home!

Add helle on Facebook

Sep 2008
    Bunbury, Western Australia

Gosh I got a fright then too. I am prone to thrush, and since I can't take the herbs I usually do to keep it at bay I have been downing natural yoghurt like no tomorrow! Phew!

May 2008
    Blackburn, Melbourne

Thumbs up

I am LOVING the Jalna Cafe Latte flavour yoghurt. YUM!

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Yoghurt is absolutely fine to eat when pregnant.

But if you want to eat it for the beneficial bacteria, don't buy the normal brands. Most have little to no resemblance to a real fermented yoghurt. There are some very good ones out there and readily available, though. Like Jalna, Bornhoffen, Gippsland Dairy & Brahmbah Organics.

Commercially bought custard is fine to eat, too. If eggs are indeed used (in many cases, there's no egg involved and other thickeners used instead), then they have to be pasteurised, so they're fine to eat. Same goes for those little tubs of Tiramisu.
    Eating custard hot only applies to home made egg custard from scratch. As you are using fresh eggs and no preservatives etc. there is a risk of bacterial contamination. So it is advisable to only eat it when hot and not to keep it for another day.
    If however, you are using a custard powder the eggs that are in the mix have been pasteurised (it's law in australia that egg products have to be pasteurised).

So eat your yogos (whatever that is) and don't feel guilty about it.

Sasa

Oct 2006
    Sydney

The only youghurt i would avoid is in a take away shop; whether it's prepacked into their own little clear plastic tubs (you don't know how fresh it is) or sitting in a shop window beside the fruit salad.

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

Is it okay to eat eggs? Ive been living off scrambled eggs, and egg based meals these past few days....just wanted to know if its ok.

Oh and i made a cake the other day and started licking the spoons and bowl, forgetting there is actually raw egg in the uncooked batter.

should everything be ok??

Dec 2007
    Victoria

first time mummy - everything should be fine.
    You can eat as many eggs as you like, they just need to be cooked.
    As for the cake batter, i wouldnt be concerned, if you are worried just dont eat any again ... the allure of a raw cake batter is hard to resist i know!! lol

HTH

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Arrrrrrghh! Another lost post! This is so annoying!

i just wanted to say that I agree with lime Slice. Cooked egg is fine to eat and very nutritious. i eat them regularly.
    Raw egg is a different story. they could harbour Salmonella bacteria which can harm your baby and make you very sick. You are going to be fine, though. It has been a few days now and you haven't gotten sick.
    Salmonella is very dangerous to the unborn baby. But, the risk of contracting it ar not as high as we are often led to believe. How many times have you eaten raw or undercoooked egg without getting sick.
    I have been known to be naughty and have my yolks runny when eating fried eggs. And licking not only the batter spoon, but also the whisk, the spatula and the bowl..... yummo! And even some Tiramisu my MIL had made for christmas.
    It is advisable however to avoid raw egg when pregnant. Just donn't beat yourself up if you slip up.

Sasa

Apr 2009
    Cowra, NSW

... the allure of a raw cake batter is hard to resist i know!! lol

HTH

I KNOW HEY...
    Its amazing how good flour, raw egg and sugar tastes lol