Thread: Foot Spas???????

Default Foot Spas???????

Hi there

I got a foot Spa for christmas and it says in the directions that you can't use it when your pregnant. Does anyone know why??

Thanks

Jacci

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I got one too and haven't used it yet. Didn't think that it couldn't be used while pg, though, how strange! I was told by a friend that it was what helped with her oedema, which is why DH bought me one.

Be interesting to know why you couldn't use it. I dip my twinkly toes into the spa bath all the time. Can't do a full-body spa, but it is fantasctic on the feet!

love
    sushee

oops bad me. I used mine a couple of times whilst pregnant

abs Guest

the only possible reason might be if the water is too hot, thus somehow raising body temp :-k

So if the water isn't terribly warm, read lower than body temp, it'll be fine

Jen had a foot spa and sat in a chair with a back massage last week or maybe the one before when getting her nails and eyebrows done. And she's been in our outdoor spa quite a few times recently (water is about 33deg - our ob said it's not a problem)

Quote Originally Posted by sushee
    Can't do a full-body spa
    See above sushee - if the temp is down, it's not a problem

I've never heard that! I've been using mine, but definitely not hot.. not in this weather! I haven't used any essential oils or anything in it, just warm water. My feet just ache at the end of the day, and the footspa is lovely I've only used it a few times tho.

hmm... just found some instructions.. and it says Diabetics and people with circulation problems must consult their dr, and same with pregnant, consult your dr. Do not use if feet are swollen or inflamed.

I don't think I have circulation probs, and my feet aren't swelling. Interesting tho.. might ask my OB.

I have also read that you can't get pedicures when you are pregnant either.

I got one for xmas too and read the same thing - consult Dr if pregnant. When looking at the rest of the list I imagine it has to do with your circulation as some peoples isn't so great when pregnant but I'm at docs next week so will check unless anyone else beats me to it.

abs Guest

yeah, the diabetes bit irritates a lot of diabetics too - though most of us ignore that. Man, if we didn't do half the things they say we can't do, living would be a very boring thing to do

I can't think of any reason why you could not use a foot spa during pregnancy. I will see what I can find out

I got one whilst pregnant and i asked my doctor and she said it was fine, that they are just covering their backs.

Yeah - I thought they were just covering there backs too - I think i will give it a try tonight and see how i go!!!!

angelique Guest

Just a thought guys,

I think the reason why you cant use foot spas is because the jet streams concentrate on specific points on the bottom of your feet to relax you. Some of these points actually induce labour or can cause miscarrage so you have to be careful there is no pressure on these points. I guess it is a safety thing for them. Just be aware of the pressure points on the bottom of your feet which are not supposed to be massaged during pregnancy.

I think a reflexologist or acupuncturist will be able to clarify in more depth about this.

I went out and got a foot spa when i was preg, it was the nicest thing for sore swollen feet!! I used it all the time, no probs.

it really is just the foot spa company covering their butt in case of legal action. my foot spa (which had never been used in the 2 years i had owned it) has been a godsend since i got pregnant. when my feet start to swell, i fill it with cold water and put it on massage - the sweelling always goes down really quick.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I think it also has to do with aromatherapy oils used in the water

There is hardly any pressure jets in mine -more of a gentle rumbling of bubbles and noise