View Poll Results: How did you feel about the gender of your baby?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was very happy to have either gender

156 72.56%
  • I had/am having a girl but would have liked a boy

12 5.58%
  • I had/am having a boy but would have liked a girl

22 10.23%
  • I had/am having a girl but I really want a boy

6 2.79%
  • I had/am having a boy but I really want a girl

15 6.98%
  • I am unhappy with the gender of my baby

4 1.86%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender Disappointment?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Gender Disappointment?

While we know we will all love our children unconditionally, some mums and dads-to-be may feel a little disappointed in learning the gender of their child from ultrasound. While this may be a mild disappointment for some and not so common in first time parents, for others it can be very upsetting, especially when they have several children already, all of the same gender.

I'm sure we all agree that any child is a miracle and blessing! Despite this, have you ever felt any disappointment in learning the gender in your baby? Did you really hope for a baby of the opposite sex? This poll is totally anonymous, so please feel free to answer honestly, and you are welcome to comment if you so wish.

Some couples try for a very long time to conceive and either gender is a blessing for them - this topic is not intended to upset those couples. It is purely to see what feelings men and women really experience throughout conception and pregnancy. It is yet another controversial pregnancy topic which needs to be treated with sensitivity so please no attacking guys!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Well, I figure I may as well go first.
    As most of you already know I have 3 boy's. When we fell pregnant this time we were happy either way. We really wanted a girl - probably due to the fact that we do have 3 boys, but we were happy to have another boy also. So many friends, family and even strangers were saying to us "I bet your really hoping ths one is a girl" or "It better be a girl this time" By the time that we found out at our 18 week scan we were so sure that we were having a boy, so over the boy/girl thing and we were fine with that - obviously a girl just wasn't for us and we had so many positives to having another boy.
    When we found out that she was a she we couldn't contain our excitement and as some of the girls in second trimester know I have already been on a pink shopping spree. I have another scan on Wednesday to confirm our babies sex. Hopefully it stays the same. It sure will save me alot of time making returns to the stores
    We feel blessed that we are able to have healthy pregnancies and babies and it can be really hard not to get caught up in the whole gender issue. At the end of the day babies be them boy's or girls are all delights and a blessing from above

Take care
    Trish

ok...I'll be brave. We really thought/felt that we were having a boy all along. I really wanted a boy... really badly in fact. I was petrified of having a girl (perhaps knowing my teenage years...) All our friends assumed we would have a boy it just made sense with me....We even were given heaps of blue clothes/toys just because everyone thought deep down that we were having a boy.

So... at the scans we couldn't find out & I was devestated. I cried for days because I couldn't find out...

Then we had Matilda... our little girl. The anaesthesiologist asked what we wanted at the caesarian & we both said "a baby" and they handed us a GIRL! It took me a week to figure it out...lol...but it makes sense now in our family. Matilda truely is Daddy's girl, and it looks so right with him, I couldn't imagine him with a little boy at all now... We love her and she is amazing to us! No complaints!!

After taking so long to get pregnant we weren't fussed at all, as long as we could finally have our baby. All along I thought munchkin was a boy & so did everyone else except my dad (but I think he was just wishing!!).

When we actually found out we're having a boy, just over a week ago, I was totally thrilled. But for a minute, after the ultrasound had finished, I had the thoughts of "no dresses, no dolls & OMG I don't know anything about boys", but honestly it only lasted a minute or so & I remembered that I can always have more babies & as long as he's healthy that's all that matters.

Since then I have gone boy crazy!! I check out every little boy in the shops to see what they are wearing / playing with and I don't even bother looking at the pink and girly things anymore - straight to the blue section for me LOL!!

If only my MIL could be happy that munchkin is a boy ](*,)

It didn't matter at all with us with Kameron as long as the baby was healthy that was all i asked for. With Lachlan there was always going to be a hope of having a girl to get that perfect pidgeon pair, I think that is just natural, but when I found out I was having another boy I was happy as I didn't have to go out and buy a "girly" wardrobe Andrew took having another boy harder but was over it in a couple of day. Now we have two beautiful boys who love each other to death (for now lol )

Love :hbeat:

I didn't care eithor way with Jack, I just wanted a baby. I don't really care eithor way for next time eithor.

firsttimedad Guest

Interesting topic of conversation this one, considering We (Renae & I) had 19w ultrasound today. Over past mth or so we had a GUT feeling we were going to have a boy but both our hearts were set on a girl. Which we now know wasn't meant to be. Though I was dissapointed earlier today that dissapointment is wearing off and are really excited about having a little Nathaniel Jaymes which I know I will love unconditionally and know I already do.

The family all know except FIL who doesn't want to know. The familt are all super excited, especially my sister and BIL who have 4 nieces so far, so will be their first nephew.

So its funny I only found this thread today. ITS ALL GOOD :bdust:

All through my childhood and teenage years, I always thought that if I were to have a baby, I would really, really want it to be a girl. Maybe it is because I have four sisters and no brothers, and know nothing about little boys!
    However when I was PG from the very beginning I felt like I was having a boy. I tried to think about what it would be like to have either sex, and which one I would prefer, but my mind kept coming back to 'boy' so by the time my 18w ultrasound came along, I was hoping I would be proven correct - which of course I was!
    In the end it is definately fate, and we were soooo meant to have our little Aidyn, and its wonderful how much of a bond he has with his Daddy... probably more than if he had been a girl, but then again who knows!
    Next time around I would like to have a girl, but at the same time will be happy with whatever we are blessed with, as our little boy is so sweet and gorgeous - how could we not want another one like him?!

It doesn't bother me boy or girl. I'm just happy to be having another one.

We are just thrilled to be having a healthy baby (from the scans) and we were happy either way, even though we hadn't been trying long.

When I was having Nicholas, we didn't mind what we were having. We were just hoping he was healthy. Which he was.

i really want a girl this time, with joshua i wasnt too fussed either way as he wasnt planned..
    ill still be happy with a boy i think we may be having a boy this time, just have that "gut" feeling but am still hoping a little for a girl

I will take the poll tomorrow arvo, after I find out what we are having. But I do want a boy this time around, but we are not going to be disappointed if it's a girl, as long as s/he comes out healthy, we'll be happy!

Tanya

Well, we were so positive that I was having a girl that we didn't have a boys name picked. I had the girls name the day after I found out I was pregnant. When we got the scan done, and the lady said it was a boy, I guess we looked a little sh****ed because she asked if that's what we were hoping for. I said (quite honestly) that we were happy either way, we were just so sure it was a girl, and she said she was 99% sure it wasn't.

When we were leaving, DP asked me if maybe she had made a mistake, after all, it's only 99%, maybe this was the 1%, but I said they have to say that to cover themselves in this day of lawsuit crazy people.

More than happy to have our little man, even if it did take us three weeks to pick a name for him.

I just thought I'd have two girls then a boy. Guess now it'll be the other way round. But we're happy with any baby we get.

Pietta Guest

I would have voted- I wanted a boy and i had a boy.
    I didnt see that option.. am i blind?

I knew the day i fell pregnant and i told DH that it was a boy!! I am stoked because i wanted a boy first!!

Well, this is an interesting topic. DH and I both really wanted a boy - the week before my 19 wk u/s was so stressful, I honestly didn't sleep the 2 nights before, I was so stressed. I kept telling myself how selfish I was, but I didn't know how DH or I would cope with the disappointment of a girl. When we went in, the u/s lady couldn't see for ages, then finally she found what she thought was a penis, and DH literally jumped out of his chair with joy. So she warned us that it wasn't 100%, so we will have to wait until the day to be sure. It's just such a taboo thing to admit that you really have a preference instead of saying 'I don't mind, so long as it's healthy', that I have always been too scared to admit any of this to anyone apart from DH!

With each of my boys I was just purely happy to have a healthy baby. I think it was more other people that were disappointed that I didn't have a girl. When I had my youngest I still remember the sound of the voice of the nurse who said "Oh..... it's a boy".
    Even with this pregnancy I would be rich if I had a dollar for each time someone said "so I guess you're hoping for a girl this time".

layla Guest

When I was pg with Sean I knew he would be a boy, I could just feel it! We found out at an u/s at 32 weeks that he was a boy and we were thrilled as we had both wanted a boy for our first child.

With Kate I knew once again. I remember sorting through Sean's old clothes when I was 10 weeks pg with Kate and getting rid of anything that couldn't be used for a girl! I just knew it. We found out at 19 weeks that she was a she!

Now we are TTC a third I just desperately want a healthy baby regardless of the sex, but I have a feeling in my bones that we are meant to have another girl. Time will tell.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast