Thread: Getting anxious about next u/s

Default Getting anxious about next u/s

As the title says, I am getting anxious about my next scan!! Its 10 more days and I hope that it comes really really really quickly (with the way the weeks are flying by, that should be a problem!)

I cant wait to see my lil baby again up on the screen and hopefully find out whether its a he or she and then we can start planning how to paint their room and think about clothes and all that stuff.

But I am quietly worried that I might have lost the baby and not know about it. I guess this is a fear that every mum has, we start worrying since the day we know we are pg and then right to the end!! I guess I am worried because I have not felt anything that I can say 100% yes that was the baby. I know that first time mum's find it hard to know what to look out for, but I was hoping that I would have gotten some sort of a kick by now!!

I am also a bit worried because things have settled down for me. Before getting to the 2nd tri I had this unbelievable hunger that now is gone - I still get hungry but not like I used to!

And then I tell myself that I have nothing to worry about because my tummy and bbs are growing and I am getting these odd growing pains and I am gaining weight so everything must be A-OK.. But you know how it is, the thoughts play at the back of your mind.... This is the first time I have been worried about bub through my pregnancy, I know that I have nothing to worry about I just want this scan to hurry up and be here!!!

Oh hun - its completely normal to be worried. I hope the next 19 days fly for you.

Veronica. I can completely empathise with you. I was extremely anxious before my scans and every Ob appointment! It was always in the back of my mind that something would be wrong, no heart beat or something. I've never had a lot of movement which added to my stress. But sure enough, there has always been a heart beat. I had an hour on CTG this morning (because I'm overdue) and it was the most blissful sound I have ever heard - sitting there for an hour listening to my baby's heart!
    So, it is totally normal to be anxious. Just try and think positively - your little bubba is going to be fine. I hope the next 10 days go super quickly for you!

Lots of MG

definitely normal, but the chance of anything happening between your scans is SOOOOOO slim!!!

Cant wait to hear the flavour

How exciting about having another scan! I too was worried in the lead up to our scan we had at about 18.5weeks. I kept worrying that we would see some freakish thing up on the screen, but DH was so reassuraing and kept telling me that our baby was completely healthy and beautiful, which of course, it was when we saw him/her on the screen.
    Its complately normal to be a bit anxious about it - its a mum thing! But I am sure everything will be perfect with your little one. I also had not felt any baby movement before I had the scan, but our baby was moving around and did a somersault while the scan was happening. It was the best thing ever to see our little bubba.

hopefully the next 10 days will go quick! Is your DP going to be there too/?

Veronica,

I too had the same thoughts and still have them at times, particularly when bubs has gone quiet. Like the gals said, it is completely normal to feel this way and the further along you get in your pg, the less risk it is that you will lose bubs. Speak to your obs about how you feel and he/she will put your mind at ease (well mine did anyway). Make sure you take a tape with you to record this scan, as you probably won't have another one during the pg.

Thanks everyone. I know that I have nothing to worry about but you know what it is like!!

Only 9 more sleeps to go now. I cant wait!!

Karina - Yes my DP is definitely going to be there. I asked him last night if he can make it and he ummed and ahhed and I said that no you are coming! LOL I think he was just kidding cause there is no way that he would miss seeing our baby up on the screen.

And I am going to bring something to record the scan on! I dont know whether to bring a DVD or tape?? I got images on a CD the last time so I was thinking of bringing a DVD, but I will bring both just incase.

Now I jsut gotta wait for my lil one to give me a kick or something. If the placenta was at the front could have it been picked up in the 12wk scan? I was going to ask but jsut too amazed at seeing my baby up on the screen! Also, if the placenta is at the front can you hear the heartbeat with no worries? My doc found the heartbeat at about 13wks..

Hey V,

On our current EDD, I'm just one day ahead, & I haven't felt any thing that I could remotely attribute to movements, and I'm pretty sure that my placenta is top back kind of position. I guess everyone has worries, so I keep trying to remind myself that if something was wrong I'd probably be feeling something different.

My DH is coming, but because he is consistently bad at being on time, I've deliberately told him that it's half an hour earlier than it actually is, just so that I don't end up as panicked & annoyed as I was at the last one, when he arrived about a minute before I was supposed to start the appointment. He did the same when he came to my last OB appointment! And then, at the 1st U/S, he got squeamish/ Granted, they had to do an internal because bugalugs would not move into a position to get the nuchal fold measure, but I've no idea how he expects to cope with an actual birth if he can't cope with that! .

Hi Jan

Its always difficult being a first time mum cause we just dont know!! I just keep telling myself that it is too early and any day now I will feel something!! I am planning to quickly drink something nice and cold in the evenings before laying down to watch some TV to see if I get anything from that.

LOL at your DH being late. Men are shocking with being on time! My DP is normally pretty good with being on time to his appointments, with the last few scan I have gone and picked him up because he normally has a work trailor on his car and finding a car park at the hospital is hard enough! I too think that the actual birth is going to be very interesting as DP cant stand the sight of blood and open wounds and he doesnt even like hospitals! I got myself a real catch dont I!?!

Veronica - i am the biggest panic person. Everytime i had a scan, i was convinced that something would be wrong. Now, i dont worry, as i feel bubs every day, so i know he/she is still kicking along (kicking being the ultimate word!) well. I had felt a few tiny flutters before my 19 week scan thou. Everyones are different, and the 2nd movement i felt, was at 16weeks, and i only felt it becuase i happened to be awake at 5am! otherwise, would of slept right thru it. But then after that one, i didnt really feel anything till i hit 20weeks.
    Where are you getting your scan done? Mine was at Park Ultrasound in West Perth, and they provided us with a dvd and photos.

Come to think about it... I think I felt bubbles at about 12 wks or around then. I woke up during the night and changed the side I was sleep on real quickly and felt bubbles around where bubs is. And then I think I did the same thing a few weeks ago. SO maybe I have felt it but just not 100% sure. I just want to have a nice kick I think! Shouldnt be too much longer.

I am getting my u/s down at Joondalup Hospital. I wasnt too happy going there the last time because the images werent very clear, but that is where the doc is sending me again!

Good luck with it Ngala.... once you get your kicks and they keep kicking... and kicking... and kicking... you will wish they would stop!! hehehe... I ony say that cause Jacob kicked like nothing else!!! he kicked me in the ribs so much I could feel bruising on the inside!!... lets hope he plays soccer then!! :P

I got some reassurance today that everything is good with my baby. Atleast I think it is reassurance!

Went to see my dr about my headaches and he had a feel of where my uterus is and he said yep! Its at 18 wks.

So everything should be fine and I will stop worrying!! No I just gotta hope that the next 8 days fly by