Thread: Glucose Testing

Default Glucose Testing

Just spoken to a friend who is due for her glucose test - she's been told that she has to fast from 10pm the night before, & to come for her test at around 9am the next day.

So then I'm in a bit of a spin, because my test isn't booked in until 3pm in the afternoon, and there's no way I can make it through a day without food. So I spoke to my OB's office & they said that I don't need to fast at all (except the hour in between swallowing the stuff & the actual test, or something like that).

Can any one who's had this done shed more light on what's the norm??

Thanks

Your friend might be having the three hour test.
    That's usually done first thing in the morning after an overnight fast.
    The one hour test (more common one) is done at any time of day and no fasting needed.
    Usually you would do the one hour test and if you fail that, you'd do the three hour. But some doctors just go straight for the 3 hour test, particularly if someone is considered at higher risk of having GD.
    HTH

pholmes Guest

Hi,

This is my fourth pregnancy and my third in the last four years. I will be doind my glucose test next week but I have never had to fast for anything more than the hour after drinking the fizzy stuff.

On both occassions when I have had my glucose test I have always fasted for my tests, however I looked up the QML (QLD MEDICAL LAB) pathology website and found an informative pdf on it which may help.

It looks like you don't need to fast for the GD Screen and can have it anytime of the day. So you are right. Your girlfriend maybe having the more indepth screening known as the Glucose Tolerance Test.

Hope that helps Jac
    Last edited by Shannon; March 20th, 2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Removing Link

Hey Jan,

I just checked what my lil sheet said and for me it says to eat breakfast, then fast for 2 hours before the appt and then the glucose test takes about 1 hour.

Maybe call up the pathology place to see what they say?

I had the one hour test and booked it for first thing in the morning. When I asked the midwife about fasting beforehand she told me it wasnt necessary to fast, but rather eat what I would eat in a normal day, and not to eat like a mars bar or something right before the test because that would make the results change.

Thanks girls, that makes much more sense - I'll stop stressing about not being able to eat now

pint Guest

I had a 1 hour test. And I didn't need to fast.
    The drink was soooo yuck!!! I couldn't drink it in 5 minutes the way the instructed me too.

I was told the test varied depending on where you do it.

ok my form says that ur not to eat anything sweet an hr b4 ur test then drink the stuff and wait for an hr to have the blood taken when i had it done with DD i was not allowed to eat anything at all and it was only an hr test

I was never told anything with either preg just with maddy I was given the drink & told to come in an hour after drinking it (npo appt necessary) have bloods taken & go home... With Indah I went in & drank the stuff had an Ob appt then waited til an hour from drinking it & had bloods... This one isnt booked yet...? But nothing about fasting at all..