Thread: Has any-one had a filling while pregnant????

Question Has any-one had a filling while pregnant????

I'm a bit of a stress head, went to the dentist for a check-up and got my teeth cleaned which was scary enough and then she told me i needed fillings.. the holes are only small but if i wait til after bubs is born- Nov she says they will be medium size and of course i'll have to pay more cause my concession thingo will run out.

So she didnt say much else only that i should get it done asap and that it prob wont hurt.
    PROB???? im really scared and she didnt say anything about having a needle (prob didnt want me to bolt there an then) but she did say that not much would pass to the baby.
    Not much of what???
    I gotta ring today and find out more but has anyone had fillings while preg?
    What are the risks? and what do they do???

My sister had fillings while she was pregnant. She was told it is fine as long as she didn't get x-rays. Ring and talk to your dentist about it.

Fillings aren't as bad as you think they are, I promise! The needle really doesn't hurt.

I have to have fillings replaced. One was done when I was PG with Caleb and now two others have started hurting.

It's perfectly fine to have fillings done when your PG just no xrays like Trish said.

Also my dentist uses a numbing gel on the gum before the needle so I don't feel a thing from the needle. The only thing that was an issue for me was getting a tired mouth from holding it open and that I can handle!
    Make sue you ask your denist if she can use the gel stuff and it will be quite a comfortable experience for you and much better than letting it go till later and needing more extensive work down the track!

I'm a dental assistant and have been for EVER!

I had a heap of dental work done while pregnant - The anaesthetics are perfectly fine while pregnant and so are the filling material etc, the only thing to hold off from (unless its an emergecy) are the xrays, and even they are such a low radiation dose and .1 of a seconds worth of exposure so not as bad at they used to be! I had dental xrays done while pregnant too and my daughter came out with only one head! hehe

Good luck with it

You guys have def set my mind at ease, i was a bit panicky bout the anaesthetics going to bubs, my main worry. The needle she didnt even mention to me, numbing gel sounds awesome, you think they could do that when they give me needles all the other times??? LOL
    The filling she's using she said were safe for preg but i needed peace of mind so thanks to everyone who replied, im a little less scared now and not so stressed

They rarely use the old style amalgam (metal) fillings now anyway, they are all the white (composite) ones. I have had dental work during pg too. Most of the time they will put a lead covering over your torso while you have an x-ray anyway (JIC you do need one). The numbing stuff is great too.

Default Try no anaesthetic!

Hi Alyssa's mum,

I thought i might be pregnant (but wasn't) when I had a filling earlier in the year, and as it was only a little one, i elected to go without pain relief. It was fine.

I think we worry about the pain too much, when really it is the sound of the drill which is the most irritating part!

So if it really concerns you, you could go without the needle- and you don't have to drool while you wait for the numb feeling to pass.

Good luck