Thread: heart chambers at u/s

Default heart chambers at u/s

Just wondering if anyone out there has had the same results with their u/s.

I had mine last week and the u/s ladie said that there was only 3 chamber and not 4 of the heart. I was told I'd have to come back at approx 24 weeks to double check.

Now, I must say im pooping my panties. Can anyone ease my mind.

maz

I hope it was just a bad u/s and the next one will be fine. I know it will be hard for you not to worry, but I'm sure everything will be ok with the next scan.

Maz, you poor love, did she just say that and that was that??? Seems very odd. The heart doesn't work with only three chambers. Have you rung your doctor, or can you ring and speak with the senior sonographer and explain your concerns?

3 and a bit weeks seems like a bit long IMO.

Good luck sweety.

Maz - like the others have said, try not to worry too much. Sometimes bubs is just in the wrong position for them to accurately check everything out thoroughly.

But definately contact your doctor and have a talk to her/him in the meantime... the sonographer should have sent him/her a copy of the report.

I have an appointment with my ob on monday and Im going to ask if I can have another u/s next week. I spoke to a friend of mine who had the same lady and my friend wasn't pleased with the way she conducted her u/s. so if I do get sent for another u/s im going to make dame sure I get someone else there.
    I didn't think the heart could operate with 3 chambers either. Im wondering if it could mean there maybe a hole in the heart?
    thanks guys for your support.
    xxmaz

kirsty Guest

Hi there sorry to hear that your u/s didn't go so well. I hope that you get some answers from your OB on Monday & that you get another scan with a different sonographer with much better results.

Maz,i can see you are worried.I would be too but thats what mummies do!Im sure it will be allright and demand an u/s.Tell the dr its causing you stress.I will use my special powers and make a wish!

julesy Guest

Maz,

I would be very surprised if there were only 3 chambers...how on earth can a heart function with only 3 chambers?? I think you should call your OB and ask for some reassurance in the meantime...If you ask me, I don't think it was very professional for a sonographer to comment on a possible abnormality at all. Sonographers are simply that...sonographers. It is the radiographers who write up a report and pass on vital info to the OB. It is not standard for sonographers to comment on medical normalities/abnormalities other than saying "well, the scan looks good to me, we'll see what the radiographer reports..."

Who in their right mind would make such a comment and not expect the parents to fret and worry in return? VERY unprofessional, and totally unreasonable. Try not to think about it until you see your OB. There may be a very simple explanation, and the OB may insist on a second ultrasound. It could very well have been the sonographer...ie not positioning the device properly...or the bub moving too much!!!

Keep your chin up, everything will be OK.

julesy
    :smt051

I had a friend who went for an ultrasound and they couldnt see one of the chambers of the heart, so she just went back for another pretty soon after and the 4th chamber was visibal.

With babies thier heart only operates as 2 chambers because the job of the placenta is to carry oxygenated blood into the body rather than the lungs, and there are little holes that close over within minutes of the birth to make it a 4 chamber heart so that is how I guess it is possible to have only 3 chambers when a baby is in utero.

If I was you I would make sure that I got my Ob to explain everything so I understood and then demand another ultrasound ASAP with someone different.

Thanks for all the support girls.
    Ive got my ob's apointment monday morning and Im going to let rip. Ive had such a **** weekend and im so over stressed at the moment.
    Im going to demand another u/s for that day.
    Thanks again girls, Ive been feeling like Im going out of my mind here.

Maz big hugs for you again!

I hope you get a repeat u/s with a different sonographer and get a much better result. I know it's hard but please try not to stress anymore than what you already are.
    [-o< for you that things will all turn out ok.

mizzsocial Guest

Maz, sounds to me like your sonographer was being slack at her job!! She should have either called another sonographer into the room for a second opinion, or asked you to come back early next week..

I cant belive she was gonna make you wait 3 weeks..??

So glad you see your OB tommorow, seriously i would let it rip too!! Also put in a complaint against this lady if you honestly think she wasnt doing her job properly..

Ill be waiting to see an update tommorow..

Went to my ob today at the hospital and spent 3 hours there. I had to have bloods and urine done because Ive been having migraines and blurry vision. Find out test soon but have already foun dout Im anemick ( I Know its wrong) Doctor also ordered another scan and Mr Wonka defently has 4 chambers. I was so relieved it wasnt funny. I just laid there and cried.
    Thank you so much girls for all your support and advice over the last few days. I just hope no-one has to go through what I have over that last 1.5 weeks.

thanks from the bottom of my heart

xxmaz

Phew!! Great news Maz! Now you can put your feet up and relax! (Well, slightly more.)
    Anyway, I've heard that if you have a scare about a 3-chambered heart, it means you're going to have a girl.
    Okay, I made that up.

:funny:

Congratulatons Maz, I would have cried too. Hope that nasty nasty woman gets a talking to!!! :fuming:

Here's to hoping that the 3 heart chamber theory is right Nelle I would be in 7th heaven at the moment if Mr/s Wonka was a girl but well I'll have to wait until the 23rd when I have 4D scan (at a completely different venue that did my other u/s)

julesy Guest

Hi maz,

So glad to hear everything is OK. Thank goodness for the second U/S results, you must have been so relieved. I hope all the other tests you had come back clear for you so you can relax and enjoy the rest of the pregnancy!!

julesy
    =D>