Thread: Heartburn

Default Heartburn

Well today I have got heartburn. I've never had it before and I don't like it.

I am nearly 24 weeks and thought it wouldn't start until much later.

When does it normally start and how can I get rid of it?

I had really bad heartburn with Jenna from about 20w I spose? I managed it with rennies, then tums, then liquid gaviscon. That was wonderful!
    It killed me, and even a glass of water repeated on me. I had asked my GP about heartburn early in the piece, and she had warned me off stronger meds - liek Zantac.
    This time I have asked my midwife about heartburn, saying there was no way I was going to put up with it again this time. She said that it was fine for me to take Zantac, apparently the major side effect of heartburn medication is the disruption of iron absorbtion.
    I have really good iron levels, so she said its fine to go on Zantac. I'll probably try and leave it til about 32w+ before I start them though. At the moment depending on my diet I can go 2 days without needing anything.

Some people say that milk helps heartburn.

Hi,

You can get heartburn at any time but it mainly starts and gets bad the heavier pregnant you get as the uterus is pushing up and squashing your stomach.

Ways to avoid it are stay upright for awhile after you eat. If you get it at night prop yourself up with more pillows so you are at a higher angle. Chew Rennie/Quikese tablets. Drink Mylanta or Gaviscon. Try not to eat the foods that set you off.

what is heartburn exactly? I always thought it sounded like something painful but listening to you guys it sounds like what reflux sounds like to me, stomach not breaking down the food enough and getting pushed back up the asophicus...????
    if so i had it bad prepregnancy and have been used to it the whole pregnancy and expect it to get worse, i think the doc said once the valve that opens and shuts to let stuff into the stomach on me is too low or something prepregnancy and when i was fatter i was on medication that releived it a little but for real i just lost weight so it got a little better and then kinda got used to it.....
    it is gross though...

i had it bad with DS, D girl. it hurts.
    i used to pop quickese and they helped and my Ob said they where fine also try some milk weird i know but it seems to settle it down. hang in there it will go and something else will annoy you before you know it. the joys of being preggers. good luck love.

I think theoretically there is a difference between indigestion and heartburn - but most people use them interchangeably.

I yoo had bad heatrburn form about 20 weeks, found that the best thing was Mucaine liquid from thte chemist, it has a type of anesthetic in it and is safe to use during pregnancy, only thing that worked, also found that nuts where the coulprit, so since i stopped eating them i dont get it as often, sometimes its a process of elimination as to what sets it off!!, good luck

I also had it from early on in pg. Making sure u never lie flat, taking rennie and quickease offers some relief - and i also found that cutting out starch foods like potatoes and even rices and pastas at night helped. HOpe it goes soon

Hi
    i'm like emma had pretty much from day one with both of mine i think i have a bit of everything in my cupboard but apple does work it also help with m/s

beastie Guest

in germany you drink a glass of milk or eat nuts (very slow)

chelleg Guest

Midwives secret cure is FRUIT TINGLES The bicarb helps to neutralise the acid and they taste good!!!! Also try to eat frequent small meals rather than large meals

Ohh fruit tingles, yummo!
    I have just got reflux last night for the first time!! Im not sure im liking it at all either. Rennie worked ok for me last night and when i was preg with DS i just had a large glass of milk or two!
    Jenni

Well after Friday it went away even after having pizza for dinner. But last night it came back. I think it was the garlic in the chicken kiev. I chewed 2 rennies and it fixed it.

It said don't have them within 2 hours of having a supplement with iron in it. Why is that????
    Last edited by DGirl; September 12th, 2006 at 10:03 AM.

Antacids reduce your iron intake I believe. So if you are taking a supplement than it may effect how well you absorb it.
    If you have good iron levels, no need to stress
    I'll be getting mesome fruit tingles! YUM!!

Percy Guest

We did some exercises in my pregnancy yoga class on Monday on combating heartburn. One of the girls who is about 33 weeks said it was helping her a lot.

I owuld get hold of either a pregnancy yoga DVD or find a pregnancy yoga class in your area as I find them really great for a number of pregnancy ailments.

Like Fiona my Ob warned me away from Zantac. I totally agree with the fruit tingles (and they're much better than the chewable reflux ones) and we went through 3L of milk daily!

Percy I have been doing prenatal yoga classes since week 14.

And I do have naturally high iron levels so that is good to know that I don't need to stress.
    Thanks guys.