Thread: Heartburn

angelique Guest

Default Heartburn

Hi guys,

I am suffering from major heartburn. It seems to be getting worse and worse the more my tummy grows. I take Rennie antacids and they do help to an extent. Does anyone else have any ways to prevent the severity of it? It even burns when I am hungry or stuffed!! Always in the same place. Is it normal to feel your ribs hurting a little when you breath? I am guessing it is because my tummy is getting squashed up there.

Any ideas anyone?

geez angelique - that sounds awful!!! I think milk is meant to make it feel better - my DH gets it and he lives on those QuickEze chewable ones - don't know if you can have them when pregnant though
    Hope it clears up really soon
    I have been getting the shortness of breath but no burning sorry

angelique Guest

Hi Jacci,

I am one of those milk haters as I am intollerant but since being pregnant i can have as much milk as my heart desires - but just not used to the taste anymore. I cant bring myself to have a glass of milk.

Guess I will have to live on my good old Rennies hehehehe

How is your morning sickness going? Easing up at all? Did you try acupuncture at all?

I still feel sick in the mornings - just doesn't end

angel_eyes Guest

Mylanta has been a godsend for me with my heartburn, my OB told me I can take them as directed with no worries. i have the chewable ones.

Luckily for me I also have no problem with milk, it helps!

I also find that eating smaller meals more regularly helps.

I hope you can find some comfort.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I found that Rennies stopped working after a while so I went on to the Quickease, and they were wonderful, best thing ever

As well as the above, pop an extra pillow under your head or raise the top end of your bed up (we used telephone books) I found sleeping a bit elevated helped a lot. The best remedy though is a glass of milk.

mysterygirl Guest

i have heartburn already if i don't eat for a while thaen again after i do eat - so its a lose-lose situation - ihave a bottle of mylanta and the chewable tabs that go everywhere with me - also found that i am getting hiccups three or four times a day - not sure if that is related...

I found I had to change tablets about 3 times trhough the pregnancy as they sor of stopped working after a while.

The very best for me was liquid gaviscon though. I got to the stage where I could just drink it out of the bottle and know I had the right amount.

Heartburn is THE WORST!!!!!!!

Fi

I too had terrible heartburn, but not so early. I found that every night because i was tired i would have tea then lie on the lounge to watch telly, of course this was the worst thing i could do for the heartburn! So try to eat tea a few hours before bed and stay upright. also milk arrowroot biccis are good too. And of course Rennies

I really hope you find some relief because it can be really painful.

Angelique.
    Small meals more often
    Cut down on fatty foods
    Cut out high acid foods and drinks including OJ
    Try a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
    Lifting the head of the bed is a good idea.
    Do not go long periods without eating something.

Hope some of this helps.

Alan (midwife)