Thread: Help - I have period like pain

Exclamation Help - I have period like pain

Hi all,

I'm nearly 20 weeks and as of yesterday I've been having pain like I'm getting my period. I have a sore lower back (mainly on my right side) and my right leg is restless. I still have the pain this morning. Bubs is moving around which I'm over the moon about but just concerned about what I'm feeling.

Do you think that it could be growing pains or something else that I would need to call my MW about?? Any help/suggestions will be helpful and can ease my mind.

thanks Mary.

Personally I'd call my MW - I'd rather be checked out and "OK" than not.

*hugs*

I have had AF type pains on and off the whole way through so far, and I have been told not to worry. I am pretty sure it is just all the stretching and if you can feel bub move I wouldn't worry too much.

If it concerns you bring it up at you next OB or Midwife appointment.

Hi Mez,

Yes definatley call your MW or OB just to be sure - best to have a professional give you the all clear. It could also be your body stretching and adjusting as your baby is growing, I had some lower back pain and lots of groin pain.

Best of luck sweety...

Lisa

Hi Mary,

I wouldn't worry too much about the period pain and back pain, I've had that since about 11 weeks and my GP, massage therapist, and midwife all say they're both completely normal parts of our wonderful pregnancy experience lol The back pain is usually caused by relaxin, which (very basically) helps the to hips relax in preparation for birth. The period pain is just a sign that things are growing and stretching and making way for your bubba. Isn't there a growth spurt happening in there recently? I think thats that usual explanation for period like pain down there... lots of growing by bub, so lots of growing of your uterus to make way for the growing bub.

The leg... is it pain, or just restless? I have started getting restless too, like I need to stretch and move constantly (probably my body saying exercise more! ). I don't know what that is or why it happens, but since my leg doesn't actually hurt I am not too worried, I just think its got to do with the relaxin surging through my body. Cramps are also normal, and pain down the sciatic (sp?) nerve is also normal...

But, like everything in pregnancy, if you are worried then its best to talk to your midwives and make sure its all normal and ok

I have had AF type pains on and off the whole way through so far, and I have been told not to worry. I am pretty sure it is just all the stretching and if you can feel bub move I wouldn't worry too much.
    This is exactally what i've been getting also- But as said by the others if you have concerns see your GP, midwife/OB....

Hope you get an answer... all i get is "its normal, as long as you dont have bleeding, try walking around, and stretching to see if they disapear.... "

Some times the pains are bad enough for me to be almost crying but as its my second i know labour will be worse...

Good luck and let us know how you went

thanks everyone for your advice. The pains have disappeared for now and I believe that it was just growing pains/stretching. If there are cramps and sharp pains I will definitely call my MW/OB.

Leasha - Thanks for your advice hun, the pains in my legs was a result from the period pain as it traveled down my leg also. I've always had that even before getting UTD.