Thread: High BP...

tinka Guest

Default High BP...

At my first OB appt my BH was high (145/85). I have a history of high BP in my family but I have never had to take meds or anything. My OB said we would see how it was at my second appt.

My second appt was last thursday night and it was even higher than before (150/90). This prompted my OB to start me on BP meds staight away. I decided to have friday off work because I just couldnt cope so I went and had some blood tests in the morning and got my prescription. As soon as I started taking the tablets I got sick - massive headache and dizziness and this has been with me ever since. I am back at work today but am not coping too well.

Apparently it is normal to feel really ordinary until the tablets adjust my BP but after 4 days in bed I am not sure when this is going to happen....

I am worrying myself sick about bubs and I know that isnt helping but I cant help it. I got pretty upset at the docs but my OB is really understanding and is positive that we can get things back on track. If only I can just trust him and stop worrrying....

Tink xx

Last edited by tinka; August 8th, 2006 at 10:22 AM.

Tinka I'm really sorry that you're going through that. Did your ob say how long until the meds take effect? Maybe you could ring and ask or maybe Google it. I'm sure you'll be fine- you're nearly halfway there and ou'll have your 18-20 week ultrasound soon. That does wonders for reassuring mum's that their babies are ok.

Good luck!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I found that at all my dr's appointments my blood pressure would be really high. My dr was curious to see whether it was just up when I was there or whether it was up all the time. She had me use a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours. It's a portable thing that you wear on your arm and you carry the thingy around with you. It automatically takes your BP every hour at first I think it was and then every couple of hours after that. Maybe you could ask your dr about one of those. It fould that my BP was perfect all the time at home which means it was just at the dr's that it was high, my dr said that she must be pretty scary then, lol. The body is a strange thing though because I wasn't scared of her at all and I never actually felt anxious whilst I was in the waiting room.

I did however develop pre ecclampsia and had to take BP medication as my BP was dangerously high. I have to still take it now as my BP got locked into being very high and I find sometimes that I feel a little dizzy as the medication can do that. However I was taking another med in conjunction but I had to stop that as it made me feel incredibly dizzy and ill to the point that I HAD to lie down and to get to the bedroom I had to hold into furniture and walls. I suggest that after 4 days of feeling like this that it is not good. I did not feel that way when I first started my medication and I would think that after 4 days it would have done something. If you are concerned go back and see the dr and if he/she won't listen go and see someone else.

Hi,

I have been on BP meds since the age of 16. I remember they made me feel pretty crappy for a while whilst i got used to them but they put me on the very very slowly.

Not much i can offer you im afraid only to persevere with them because to have high BP while pregnant is far worse for you and the baby than to just leave it.

tinka Guest

Thanks for the info and support girls.
    Things have settled down now and I am feeling much better - just the usual pregnancy uncomfortableness now and not BP related headaches and dizziness.
    I had my BP check yesterday and it was down from 150/90 (at my OB appt when I was prescribed the meds) to 132/84. I am not sure if this is in normal range yet. I guess I will find out at my next OB appt in a weeks time.

I have my 19 weeks scan next week too. Geez, I hope the BP is under control and bubs is on track! I really want to be able to relax and enjoy this second trimester but I cant help but be a worry wort

Thanks again,
    Tink x

Hi,

Glad to hear that things have settled for you.

Normal range for BP in pregnancy is the bottom number going up to 90. So your second reading is good. When the bottom number hits 90 plus in pregnancy is when they start to worry and class you as high BP. I was induced at 38 wks with BP of 145/95, mind you i was medicated with BP like this and since i was "full term" they thought they might as well bring baby on than muck about with a higher dose.