Thread: hip pain after sleeping on side

Default hip pain after sleeping on side

I've always found sleeping on my side quite comfortable, but lately I wake up in the early morning with my hips and thighs aching painfully. Whatever side I was sleeping mostly on is the side that hurts the most, but both sides hurt from rolling around during the night trying to share the discomfort.

What is this pain and what can I do about it? It's like my hips can't handle my weight anymore, but I don't see what I can do about it when I'm supposed to lie on my side all night long.

I had those too, and unfortunately they didn't go away until the baby was born (though it was pretty much gone instantly after he was born). I don't think there is anything that can be done for it unfortunately except try to change your sleeping position as much as you can (I had to flip from side to side to redistribute the pressure.) I think because of the extra weight and the extra movement in the bones, it's inevitable. It kind of helped a little when I put a body pillow (or my husband lol) behind me so I could lean back a little and take a bit of the weight off my hips and onto my back. Mostly I just had to live with it unfortunately.

Hey there, sorry I have no answer for you - just another person that feels exactly the same way (was going to post a similar question myself - then saw your post )
    I am only 17 weeks and I have been getting sore hips off and on for a while now
    more on my left side than my right- it feels like after you have been to the gym and done too much and got muscle soreness the day after from it !! (Well that s how I describe it)
    I have always been a runner and jogged for general fitness - not doing it now though - I wonder if that has anything to do with it???
    I do wear those flat ballerina type shoes that are in fashion - they have no real support for the foot so i am thinking maybe they could be affecting my hips??
    I hope it gets better soon hun for both our sakes
    All the best Anna

I've got this too. It makes sleep worse. All the tossing and turning.
    I never had this hip and thigh aching with DS, but I've got it this time and I'm lighter then last time too. lol

I get my DP to rub my lower back particularly around my hip areas and I've found it helps with the aching for a few nights in a row.

I hope you get some decent sleep soon.

xx

I have found over the last 2 nights that if I sleep with a pillow between my knees, and my knees bent equally so my legs are tucked up together, that the hip pain is much less the next morning. Can't say much about the lower back pain ...

If only my husband wasn't such a good sleeper, then I might get him to rub my back for me. He didn't even wake up when I was rolling around in pain after getting one hell of a cramp in my calf muscle.

It sucks that sleep of all things has to be uncomfortable.

I so feel for you, I am getting that too and it sucks. Every night I am just turning myself over to spread the pain evenly lol. I've never been a side sleeper so its even more painful!

I really l ike to get a pillow and stick it under one of my hips so its kind of like I am laying on my back, but I'm on a slant so its not going to block the vein and hurt me or bub. It's actually really comfy, and the weight isn't on a hip, its kind of spread throughout my side and back so I don't get the soreness.

I also think having my knees together helps, whether theyre tucked up close to my belly or my feet up near my bum (pregnancy = weird and wonderufl new ways to sleep!!!!!!).

Sometimes theres nothing more I can do but get up and walk around for a bit.

HTH

AnnaBelle.... I was wearing flats as well. I invested in some masseur sandals and OMG the best thing I've ever done!

I was going to say what kuaiza said - I had this with DD and found that a pillow between my knees with my knees bent really helped. I also had a kidney shaped pillow (you can get them from spotlight I think) that I put under my belly to support it as well. These 2 things really worked.

When I put a pillow under hip and try to lie on my back but on an angle I very very quickly develop serious back pain. Maybe I need a smaller pillow.

I was wondering about a proper body pillow, are they firm or are they really squishy like a super-soft teddy bear? I need something squishy.

I've got a body pillow and find the hip pain is much less when I sleep with it between my knees, it also supports your tummy too, my pillow is nice a soft it was just from target, can't remember how much though, I think it was around $30, well worth the investment! Towards the end of my first pregnancy I also sleep with a normal size pillow up against my back, so I could lean onto it without going onto my back, poor dh, not much room left in the bed for him once I got my pillow fortress set up!

poor dh, not much room left in the bed for him once I got my pillow fortress set up
    Same, poor DP she ends up being pushed to the edge of the bed while I've got a million pillows set up!!!!

Kuraiza, what you described is exactly how I've experienced hip pain over the last few weeks. I went to my physio last Monday and he found I had a very tight muscle - the strap muscle that is on the outer side of my leg. I had this on both sides, possible due to a change in my posture to stablise my pelvis, or maybe exacerbated by some side leg lifts I did in Yoga. The muscle was pulling on where it attached to the bone at the top of my leg.

He treated it with deep pressure/massage on Monday and again on Friday, which was painful at the time but brought immediate relief. Acupuncture is also an option if the practitioner is comfortable with your pregnancy. The pain returned a day later but less so, I was told to massage it as best I can and sleep on the other side with my painful leg on a pillow. I found that putting a hot water bottle / warm wheat bag on the top painful leg in bed also helped a lot. (I had to turn over a few times in the night to switch legs as both hips were painful). I only had two physio sessions and it's heaps better now.

So it might be worth you visiting a physio to offer a bit of relief - otherwise try positioning and massage, and avoid side leg lifts and be aware of your posture (tuck your bottom under when you stand).

Hip pain continues and now I have severe back aches as well. Made an appointment with the Physio for Monday. The midwife I spoke to suggested I may need a hip brace but we'll see. Maybe special stretches will do.

Pretty sure there's no connection to yoga or leg lifts for me.

Ate too much tonight and that just made my tummy press on my spine or something, now I am in so much pain. Apparently pregnancy hormones loosen your joints and make everything hurt.

So my very uneventful pregnancy has suddenly become very eventful as I step towards that third trimester.

I'm sorry you're in pain, hopefully the physio will be able to help you get some relief! Getting in the water might help a bit, momentarily at least. I do aqua classes once a week and love it, you feel weightless in the water. All the best!

Kuraiza, in the last few weeks i've since found out my other two pregnant friends had the same pain, one of whom also went to a physio. My pain has returned to be quite bad / affecting sleep, but I haven't been massaging it. If it's the same cause as mine, it's apparently very common in pregnancy - the muscle ICB (or is it ICP??) on the side of the thigh can become overused if your pelvis tilts with your changing shape and your bum muscles get lazy. Definately go to a physio for assessment as they can treat the muscle thing or tell you if it's something else, eg actual joint issues relating to your relaxing ligaments. If it ends up being your muscle (which can also cause lower back pain because the pain refers there), your physio can give you exercises and tell you how to massage it.
    good luck!

DENI It's ITB

KURAIZA I was having awful hip pain, as you describe it, at the start of winter. We do have chilly nights here on the GC & I was only wearing shorts to bed. Although I didn't feel cold, I changed to wearing flannelette pants to bed & my hip pain has stopped. I think by keeping the area warm you'll notice a difference... I'm sure the physio will help & stretching will for sure. The back pain is probably referring from a tight hip. Good luck! BTW I'd have no chance of having DH rub my back during the night either. Boy, we are alike lol.

Just got back from the Physio. The verdict is that I have sloppy hips caused by the pregnancy hormone Relaxin' (as in: I'm just lyin' 'round the house relaxin' 'n' stuff). My left pelvis is not aligned with my right.

There's not much that can be done because we can't stop the relaxin' until bubs born, but sleeping on my left side is out, which is nice to know.

I have been sleeping with a pillow between my legs, but she said I shouldn't bend my knees up too much and keep my hips totally even.

She gave me a bunch of exercises to strengthen my back and to help align the hips. There is a brace I can get if the exercises don't help, but I'll try the exercises first and see how it goes.

I basically have to keep the hip alignment in mind for everything I do, like getting out of a chair or out of the car, rolling over in bed, standing, walking etc.

Anyhoo, hope it works because I need a bit of sleep soon.

Georgi, you and I are in the twilight zone.

That's interesting to know not to pull your knees up too close (whilst sleeping). Just this morning I worked out it was more comfortable to have them a little further away from me. For about a week now I have been sleeping with a pillow between my legs but have had them up close to my bump.

LOL Twilight zone

Let us know how you go with the exercises