Thread: How can you tell the position of bubs?

Red face How can you tell the position of bubs?

Hi knowledgeable ladies,
    I was just wondering how you can tell what possie bubba is lying in? Last night DF and i think we felt a knee or two underneath my belly button. And i was getting movement near my ribs. Then i was getting like a "headbutt" near my pubic bone. Well i think its a headbutt coz when he has the hiccups it is always near my pb.
    Ta
    Jen

Hi Jen,
    How many weeks are you?
    Babies move around and don't settle into their final position until a bit later on. I hear that at around 32 weeks is when some babies who've been travelling breech tend to somersault head down. But then again, some don't until later on! It sure sounds like yours is head down for now - but even if that changes, chances are, your baby still has time to change again ... amniotic fluid must be the best ever aquatic fun park.
    Skilled midwives are pretty good at palpating with their hands to assess the baby's lie.
    There's also Optimal Foetal Positioning - helping the baby lie more towards the front than the back. Because of our modern life-style, sitting in couches and cars a lot, more babies are starting out in labour lying along the mother's back, which is a much tougher labour for the mother. To counteract that, they suggest going on hands and knees in forward leaning postures so that gravity can help the baby lie forwards.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Julie Doula; November 16th, 2006 at 08:45 AM.

I've never been able to tell which way my baby is lying. I know which postion it is in now but that's only because i had a u/s yesterday and for the last three weeks she has been in the same spot.

My baby changes position all the time... at the moment, I am certain it is with its feet toward my left side, and the head up toward my right side ribs.
    Ask at your next appointment... I ask everytime I go as I like to know if I am right or not!! lol

My dr doesnt check which way the baby is lying until 30 weeks... Thats still 3 weeks away. Im so impatiant. LOL.
    Julie~ I am 26 weeks and 4 days.

I had OB appt today and I asked her...lol. She said it's still pretty hard to tell...dammit cos I wanted to know if I'm being kicked, punched or headbutted...rofl.

I can sometimes tell, but mostly because there is no fat whatsoever in the way (not to brag; most women do have a fairly decent level of body fat, I'm just super skinny). It is usually when I get a big kick or punch and grab the offending limb, you can tell if it's a hand or foot. Same with a headbutt - the baby was right out in front one night and you could feel the whole body! Sadly, the baby has now jumped back and burrowed into my spine again so there's too much fluid in the way to tell. It has made the baby more quiet, for which I'm glad!

Having said all of that, I only started being able to tell a week ago!

I can usuallly tell, I don't know why. I can feel feet sometimes and other times a back. it is hard to tell bum from head but I even had two midwives and a dr have to do an us to tell bum from head with DS ( theres a story for him when he is older)

This bub is lying transverse and seems to love this position, everythime I get her into head down she gets back into this transverse possy

Ha ha at grabbing limbs Ryn!!

I cant tell either, all I know is bub is very low and all kicks, punches and headbutts (whatever they are) are all below my belly button or right down almost in my crutch! :eek:

tiggy Guest

If you are lopsided - the lumpier side is usually all the limbs! When I was first learning about position, I thought that the bulkier side would be where the spine is but it is the opposite! If your belly is ovoid and not irregular, it is usually a good indication that your baby is posterior (ie spine against your spine)! It's pretty cool, don't you think, that the shape of your belly can go someway to knowing the position of your baby?!?!

Tiggy, I always thought that the lumpier side was the spine too! Hmmm well i think this little man is not posterior, he hardly ever is except when i wake up. But that doesnt last for long! I suddenly get kicks headbutts and punches. I go to the drs next week will ask then.

ANd here I was thinking that the lump on the left was a head or bum!

Louis was head down from my 28w appointment and was at each appointment after that. I remember the dr getting me to feel his head in my pelvis at that stage and I could feel it really well after that. He never moved in all that time!
    I wouldn't have been able to tell except that she told me then!