Thread: How do they determine the sex of the baby?

deedeeze Guest

Default How do they determine the sex of the baby?

Yes, I know that when the sonographer does the test at about 20 weeks if there is a penis then it is a boy.

But my sister was saying that they can tell if the baby is a girl as they can see ovaries on the ultrasound at this stage too. I read that the testes don't descend in the boy until 22 weeks anyway, so if they see ovaries how do they know it is not a testis?

Has anyone heard of seeing the ovaries in the baby during the 20 week ultrasound?

The labia can give a distinctive M shape when viewed on u/s. So the two options are the M sign (girl) ar a dangling part (boy). But depending on the position of the baby it can still be hard to differentiate. You can ask your sonographer how they can tell when you are getting scanned if they are a nice one

Not sure about the girl bits but for the boys there is a clearly identifiable shape of the penis and scrotum that stands out as male.
    There is no doubt at all if you were to see a 4D image of them.

When they did my DD they picked her sex by the three lines. I've never heard of them looking for ovaries - theoretically possible but they would be pretty tiny and hard to find I would think.

hamburger is where the M comes in. It is either a McDonald's hamburger or the image is the 3 lines that make the letter M. Lovely descriptors!!

We just found out ours is a girl and dr was lookingfor the magic three lines but I have heard of others seeing ovaries. I guess they can watch the bladder empty and fill and the stomach, they might be able to work out ovaries?

deedeeze Guest

Thanks ladies! We opted not to find out the sex but I was wondering how they say it is a girl with such certainty.

Congrats on your little girl Saram!

We had our scan on Tuesday and our sonographer was adamant that you could NOT see ovaries and even actually said "if anybody tells you they see ovaries, they are LYING". (I'm not calling anybody on here a liar, I'm just repeating what our sonographer said). We're having a boy - it was so obvious, that even DH could see it - but he explained the whole ovaries/testes thing to us anyway since we were in there for over two hours - we had a lot of time to chat!

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    WOW DG! Congrats on your bubba boy!

Interesting about the ovaries! I guess we wont see any on my baby anyway! LMAO
    Nope, I guess you won't LOL

Congrats on your little boy too! Looks like your boy likes showing off as much as ours does

Our guy clearly enjoyed his work, he told us everything we possibly need to know about ultrasounds, and a whole bunch of stuff we probably won't ever need to know! He made it such a fun experience.

Hi DisGirl
    Congrats on your little boy - I have my u/s in 2wks and just wondered why were you in there for 2hrs? Is this how long it takes?
    Cheers, T.

No Tess, I have a naughty baby (clearly he takes after his father!). He was very active and the sonographer had a job getting non-blurry photos to start with, and then he was lying facing the totally wrong way for the heart measurements and wouldn't budge. We went for a walk around the hospital and up and down corridors, had something to eat and then tried again to see if Bob had moved, but he was comfy and wouldn't budge. That's the reason it took so long - and I have to go back next week too. From what he was saying, it generally takes about 45 mins.

confusedegg Guest

When i had twin preg last year, they told me at about 19 weeks they were both girls from the 3 white lines and this preg i not sure how but was told it was boy at 12 weeks and 19 weeks and 24 weeks. Some how i thinks there is no doubt its a boy.

[email protected] i some how dont think id like to be thinking about it over dinner - LOL...

My 18 week ultrasound a few weeks ago showed so obviously that our baby has 3 legs!!!

Thomas wasn't able to come and so I had a friend with me who is 3 weeks more pregnant than me with a girl. She spotted the very noticable difference between her ultrasound and mine before the sonographer did!

I know with Jesse's you couldnt miss that he was a boy. Im sure his testes were there. He gave us a nice leg spread so we could make sure.

If you search on the net for "boy and girl ultrasound photos" it will bring up some so you can see the difference. Girls generally have 2 or so lines.

Sorta on this topic, but, if you dont want to know what the sex is, does the u/s operator 'avoid' those areas?