Thread: How long did it take

Default How long did it take

For them to do your 18-20weeks scan ?

I had mine done last week and i feel as if they where very quick with it. The scan lasted 10mins but when i have had that scan with my other pregnancies i have always been in at least 20-30mins. I'm sure they are meant to check the kidneys and everything but nothing was said. I'm a little worrried as Alex was born with kidney problems but with him nothing was picked up till 36wks as they missed it at the other scans. I just want to make sure everything is okay with this baby.
    I have to go back at 24wks to have the heart looked at again as they said they couldn't see it very well but it did look ok.

Will i be able to book to see someone else for that scan or will i have to go back to the same place ?

tinka Guest

That does sound a little shorrt...My scan was at least 40 minutes (with a wee break included!).

Maybe the technician could see everything well enough and thats why it was so quick...

She could have done as a private OB was in with her but it does seem awful quick tome. I'm at the hospital on Thursday i will ask the Dr when i see them and see what they think.

Mine was about 40 minutes too I think.

Hi,

That is really quick. Normally 20 mins at the minimum. But maybe cos you are going back at 24 wks they will do a longer one then.

Michelle,
    Did they mention maybe that they couldn't see things too well? 10 mins is pretty quick - morphology u/s takes about 30-40 mins to complete. There is a fair bit to go over. Maybe it was quick as you are going back in a few weeks? I think it's a good idea to check with your obs when you see her/him.

Sounds too quick for me. Mine lasted about an hour. I would ask about it at the hospital.

Deb the only thing they said they couldn't see that well was the heart because she said i was a little on the large side and they find it hard to see on larger women. She never said anything about not seeing anything else and just to go back to have the heart checked again.

Hopefully i will be able to have another scan sooner than 24wks but if not i will see if i can change the location of my next scan to the local hospital.

Michelle, that does sound too quick. Do you get the scan results yourself (ie can you pick up the films? Usually there is a explanatory letter from the radiologist inside).

My GF is married to a Radiologist (not an ultrasonographist, but like the head Dr blokey that checks all the obserrvations/scans etc) and he said a "normal" morphology should take an experienced ultrasonographist around 30 mins minimum, usually longer because most babies are not cooperative all the time!

HTH........

If you can, maybe request another one somewhere else?

I never got a copy of the results but will call my GP tomorrow to see if they sent them to her if she does i will pick them up before my hospital appt Thursday. If they did send them she should have them by now as it was nearly a week ago.

All my scans have lasted over an hour. Michelle I would definately say something, thats not on. Especially with what you have already gone through this pregnancy.

We have 10-min appointments; my scans have been very quick (all under 10 mins, even for the morphology scan), although I get the print-out reports there and then. 30 minutes for a scan? That would be wonderful, I'd love to see my baby for a half-hour at a time (she says now).

spreckemily Guest

10 minutes is way too short. Down here in Tassie most scans are 40 - 60 mins depending on what stage you are at.