Thread: Lack of movement

Default Lack of movement

Hello all

i feel very paranoid posting this message but I am having a mini stress. I have been feeling fairly regular movement from the baby for the past few weeks (I am close to 20 weeks) but havent really felt anything over the past 30 hours or so. I usually get quite definite movement as night when I am lying in bed reading but I didnt get that last night and havent been able muster much (I cant tell if the movement I think I felt are in my imaginiation becasue they have been very soft) even after drinking cold water. Should I be worried?

TIA
    Jem

Jemima... I had this happen to me a few times whilst pregnant with Harrison. I found that having a cold drink helped to get him moving... if that failed, manipulating my belly to make him move... all these things were recommended to me by midwives.
    If you can't seem to get bubs to move, give your hospital a call... I had to do this and they were more than helpful and I went in and had a trace done to see his movements... which was soooo reassuring

lisa, congrats on the birth of your little boy, how beautiful.
    Jemima, I thind that bubbas just could be lying in a way that you couldn't feel her move, or maybe just resting when you are instead and visa versa. But if you still don't feel any movement in a day or two, if it would make you feel better I would drop a line to your OB and see if they can arrange something to reassure you that everything is o.k. Maybe they can just use a doppler to hear her heartbeating or if your lucky they could give you another little peak.

Well I think I have just felt some very faint movement. The movement was not as strong as what I have felt int he past, but I guess any movement is good movement. Do you think so? I have turned into a paranoid pregnant woman again - I would have thought that third time around I would be a bit more relaxed but no LOL!!!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Jem, I completely understand the freak, I had this freak out a week ago. I rang my Ob at the time and he said it is quite normal at our stage to feel movements for quite a while and then for them to appear to cease. He just said that it is more than likely that the baby is in a different position and they are still so small, they don't always have strong enough movements.

Having said all that, I posted and loads of lovely ladies posted the same thing, but I must admit it wasn't until I spoke with my ob that my mind was put at ease. So if it is still worrying you hun, then call your ob.

Funnily enough after I spoke to my OB and relaxed the baby started moving that afternoon fairly regularly again.

Hugs to you hun!

ETA: I just read you comment about 3rd time being easier - no way I am finding it harder and more stressful than ever!

Hi Relle - I am hearing you about finding this pregnancy stressful!! I guess it is not only being pregnant but also dealing with two little ones that adds to the stress levels. DS2 is still not sleeping for me and he seems to be at his worst when DH is away so my stress levels and lack of energy at the moment are at all all time low. Gee this has turned into a boo hoo - sorry! I hate to complain - just have to get on with it I guess!!

Jem, boohoo away! It is hard with 2 others.

I am actually really starting to stress about sleeping or lack of when the new baby comes. We have JUST got the boys into a better sleeping pattern, but that is with the boys in seperate rooms, when the baby comes it will have to share with DS 2, so heaven help us!

Have you been feeling bubba???

I think I have felt a couple of very faint movements - no where near as strong as some I have felt in the past but I guess any movement is better than no movement. Do you think this means things are OK?

Yeah I do babe, sometimes mine are strong, and other times I can barely even tell that bubs is moving. I think it sounds like bubs has had a change in position hun and you are not able to feel it so much in the area.

I have had bubs up the top of my uterus and has been going ballistic, but yesterday sensed a change in position, cause now the movements are down low and faint iykwim.

Don't stress babe!

Thanks Relle!!

Jem I felt the same way as you at times and I was always worrying for nothing. I even went into my OB's office a couple of times to get a heart beat check which was always fine and then that evening bubs would move around like crazy. Little bugger.

Bubs was very erratic with his movements in the 2nd trimester but now I feel them all the time so I worry a lot less( well maybe a little ).

Good luck with everything.

Women are born worriers I think.

Linda

Yep, women are natural worries - men have that "she'll be right attitude!"
    Yesterday, i felt bubs move heaps, the most i have felt, but today, nothing! I think they just move positions alot. I have noticed that i will sometimes feel big movement, and then nothing for a day or so, and then movement again. So, it must just be changing position, and because i am only 21weeks, i try not to get to concerned if i dont feel it every day.

Jem
    Try not to worry hun. It is not unusual for movements to slow down for a time. As long as you are feeling some movement then things are ok. You could try to drink an icy cold glass of lemonade or OJ. you need to drink it all down as fast as you can. This will often get baby to move. You could also try giving him/her a prod with your fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    JYou could try to drink an icy cold glass of lemonade or OJ. you need to drink it all down as fast as you can. This will often get baby to move.
    Maybe thats where i am going wrong. The cold glass of water thing hasnt worked for me yet, but, i have never drunk it really fast. Will give that a shot. Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have felt some movement today - although nothing as strong as previous days. I will definitely try try a cold glass of lemonade or OJ and will drink it quickly to see if this brings on some kicks. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again
    jem

Jem - did you try last night?
    I did, drunk about 600ml of cold cold water as fast as i could, and i got movement near straight away. Not as strong as i have felt it in the past, but, alot more little taps as opposed to 1 or 2 big ones.
    I only have one question now - i did this quite late last night - how do i get it to stop! I wanted to go to sleep, but, part of me wouldnt let myself cause i didnt want to miss anything...

it worked for me 2. I had a glasss of cold OJ and sculled it really quickly and within a few minutes had some decent kicks. Gotta love that!!

LOL @ Mum2be