Thread: Leaking breastmilk already??

Melinda Guest

Question Leaking breastmilk already??

I have been leaking a bit of colostrum for a little while now, but today I noticed that it is turning a milky colour...is this normal???

Anything out of the ordinary like this freaks me out!! I know it's normal to leak colostrum, but breastmilk???? Someone please set my mind at ease!

I have been able to get breastmilk out since the moment I found out I was pg. But maybe thats because I am still breastfeeding Glenn..... (LMAO sorry had to do it)
    Um I am pretty sure it is normal. I can remember with my first I seem to have alot of stuff coming out from pretty early on. I guess just keep an eye on it & mention it at your next appointment.

LOL Fiona I have the same problem!!!!

Mel - I agree with Fiona mention about it at your next appointment, I think they do say with subsequent pregnancies your milk comes in sooner (or did I make that up!!!!) sorry I don`t really know considering I`m still feeding Matthew but I know my colostrum came in this time at about 16 weeks.

Melinda Guest

It's funny you know, as up until we conceived this one, I still had BM but Jacob was only BF for a matter of days!!! It then changed to colostrum that was leaking straight away and has just changed to milky today.....weird.

I did a google search where I read it's normal?

Thanks for your replies.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey Melinda

I've already been leaking colostrum too and have been told that its completely normal to get milk in really early in subsequent pregnancies. Still, I reckon I'd freak out to!!

Hi Mel

Yes it is normal and quite common

Melinda Guest

Thanks so much Alan! You always ease my mind!!!

Hi!
    I was leaking breastmilk (and i mean needing to change breastpads several times a day at times) from about 5 months.
    I remember panicking and asking my obst about it.
    He told me I had nothing to be worried about, an infact should be happy.
    He said my body was preparing itself for the baby and it meant i had a good start, should i want to bf.
    He wasn't kidding. Thankfully, i've had a decent supply of breastmilk.
    My CMHN thinks it's liquid gold!

Mel with this PG I've been leaking milk too. I haven't seen any in the yellow colostrum colour.

I'm the opposite to all you ladies - with my first I leaked colostrum from early on but with this one I've got nothing - let alone milk!!!!! It has been eighteen months since I finished breastfeeding but now I'm getting concerned there's going to be a problem this time as I can't even squeeze any out and I'm 35 weeks. Don't mean to hijack your thread Melinda - [email protected]!

Jaspen, I wouldn't be concerned. When I was like a week off giving birth to my second I couldn't get a drop of breastmilk out even though it had only been about 4 months since #1 had weaned. I went on to have a normal milk supply & am still bfing #2 & pg with #3.