Thread: Low/Intermitent Appetite..Weight Loss...anyone else?

Question Low/Intermitent Appetite..Weight Loss...anyone else?

So I am just shy of 16 weeks and for about 5 weeks i have had very little appetite, or it comes and goes in waves.

Most days, a big fat salad sandwich is enough to do me the whole day, and maybe a cup of soup for dinner.
    All pregnancy I have been craving cold, fresh foods - salads and sandwiches, casseroles and hot veg holding very little appeal, aside from pasta, which I could eat a truckload of.

But have noticed in the last fortnight it is getting worse, I will eat a couple of pieces of fruit and just NOT be hungry, have to force myself to eat and when I do, it is usually soup or salad, toast, as it is all I feel like and the thought of anything else makes me feel ill.

So all that is ok, I am taking my multis and things, eating when I do is fairly healthy, aside the regular cheeseburger cravings from maccas lol, so I am not particularly concerned about nutrition, more calorie intake.

I have now lost 3-3.5 kgs in the last 3-4 weeks. This in itself is not a bad thing is it? I was over 90kgs when I fell pregnant, and so def not going to waste away in a hurry lol but I haven't found anything specific about calorie intake or slow and gradual weightloss being bad as such during pregnancy - simply that you should add about 300 calories a day to what you were eating pre-preg. Now I was eating way more than I should have been pre-pregnancy anyway and wanted to make sure my weight didn't run away with me, but I am not doing anything on purpose to lose weight, just simply not hungry.

The reason I even care is a couple of gfs of mine have said somethings like I am going to hurt the baby, which just sounds like a load of crap to me, but wanted to know if anyone else was in the same boat - just not hungry?

Nobody?

they say that because they would just DIE if you lost when when you were preg.

I always LOST weight in all my pregs, at least until the last tri. My appetite very up and down, but I just couldn't do anything but eat the best stuff I could within the limits of my hunger.

My appetite has been very up and down too, in the first 13 weeks of my pregnancy i lost a few kg due to no appetite, then it came back with a vengance. Bub will take what he/she needs first and your body will soon tell you if it doesnt have enough left to run on. If your worried about bub try to take a daily multivit with iron and folate in it, and drink milk when you can, but dont stress, bub will get what it needs from your body.

Good luck for a happy and healthy pgcy!

I think that you only need to add those 300 calories in the last trimester babe.

Just have a chat to your midwife or Ob at your next appointment.

If you're feeling ok, have good energy and stuff then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Pregnancy affects everyone differently. I had days where I'd eat next to nothing and then other days when I'd eat us out of house and home DH would come home from work and there would be half the food in the fridge than there was when he left LOL

As for what your girlfriends have said about you hurting the baby, that isn't right (unless you were underweight and you've told us you aren't). Baby will get what it needs from YOU and it will be you that suffers LOL.

Sue xx
    Last edited by MummaSue; August 20th, 2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added stuff