Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low lying Placenta

Question Low lying Placenta

Hey ya girls!

I saw my Dr on Thurs and found out I have a low lying placenta and have to have another u/s at 32 weeks!!!

Buggar!!! :eek:

The u/s report says that "The placenta has situated poteriorly with its lower edge at the internal cervical os". I know that it's on the back wall, but what does the "os" mean.

Obviously close enough to warrant more investigation towards the end of the pregnancy. He told me its just a precaution and what they hope is that as I get bigger, the placenta goes up the back wall away from the cervix, instead of close or over the cervix.

I don't know enough about these things to know the percentage of low placenta's that end in a cessar, but I'm banking it's high! Does anyone know about this???

Hi Tash,
    I too had a LLP and i had another u/s at 33 weeks, it had moved up. I cant tell you what the os stands for but most cases the placenta does move up!
    Goodluck with the rest of your pg.
    Jenni

Thanks ScorpioMum!

I did read that in 5% of cases at the 32 week scan they are still low. So there is a higher chance of it moving than not, which I'm happy about - better odds in my favour!:biggrin:

Thanks again. Will let you know how I go in the next couple of months.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

The os is the opening in your cervix. From what you say I would expect your placenta to move higher and away from your os as your pregnancy progresses

Thanks very much for that Alan. I feel a lot better about it all now.

Thanks to you all who have posted.

I had a low lying placenta at 19 weeks then at 30 weeks it had moved up. I was told by my midwife though that you can still have a vaginal delivery if it's low but not touching the cervix. They just monitor you more closely.

Hi Tegan,

Thanks for that. On my report it says that it's at the internal cervical os (opening). So I suppose I just have to hope that it moves away from the cervix, then I can still try for the vaginal birth.

I see my midwife on 27th Feb, so will just have to discuss all the pro's and con's with her then I think.

I just don't want any complications, but I don't want the c section either!! Ahhhh!:eek:

2nd_time_mum Guest

Hi Tashie

Im with you i also have a low lying placenta and have to go back from another scan i was told at 18 week scan that i had it then went for another scan at 24 weeks and is still laying low so here is hoping it moves up but i did hear also that 5% stay low so hopefully we arent in that 5% good luck in yours moving up as well

Hi Tashie

I had a low lying placenta at 12 wks, still at 19 wks and was scheduled for a check up at around 32 wks. Mine was posterior as well, but not touching the cervix. Still low at 32 wks, but my ob assured me he had NEVER had one that hadn't moved far enough away. He agreed that I could have another u/s at 37 wks (leaving it as late as possible). Unfortunately the darn thing hadn't budged a mm, so I had a scheduled c/s at 39 wks. This is very unusual, according to my ob, that it didn't move. There are several reasons in my case, 1) posterior doesn't move as much as anterior, 2) I am fairly small and my baby was also small (2.5 kgs at birth, no reason, just little), so the uterus did not grow as much - my fundal height was always behind, and 3) I'm a freak of nature!!

I tried not to think about the birth until there was no doubt what the outcome was going to be. I was allowed to wait until as late as possible. I was a little upset about a c/s, but when you don't have a choice you realise there are a lot of other important things to worry about with your baby's arrival and immediately afterwards. I also made sure that I discussed the c/s in detail and was prepared as much as I could be so that my recovery was quick.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a much more cooperative placenta than I did!!

My ultrasound report at 19 weeks said exactly the same as yours, and my obs said that they'd do another ultrasound somewhere between 34-36 weeks and not to worry as in most cases it moves up. My obs also said that if the head had engaged that all would be fine for a natural birth. I'm trying not to think too hard about, but know that I just want what is safest for my baby's arrival. Good luck with the next scan!

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your replies!

Good luck Sweatpea - not long to go until your next scan. Let me know how you go....

Thanks for your note Jennifer13. I am also small, but maybe being my second bub it will stretch more and easier??

I'm not as worried about it now as I was when I first posted this thread. My girlfriend had a c-section Wednesday and she is OK with things. I am a lot more relaxed either way. I too have been a freak of nature with other medical issues that I've had in the past few years, so that's why I panick a bit when I'm told, "most of the time these things move" or what ever, because most of the time, mine won't and therefore, I'll be like you.

It's good to know from what Sweatpea has said that if bubs engages you are good to go for a natural birth. I have my next midwife appoinment when I'm 25 weeks, so I can discuss this with them and they'll book me in for my scan.

They have already said that it's very common and it's rare they don't move, so let's hope I'm not rare on this occasion - LOL!!!

The good thing about the c-section is at least you know when bubs is coming and you can plan things better.

Take care all and let me know how you all go!

I saw the obs today and he said he'd check it at 36 weeks, so I'll let you know how I get on!

linny Guest

Hi Tasha,
    I got diagnosed with this yesterday too.1 of my placentas is lying right over my cervical opening but like the others said my OB said most of them do move as you grow.They are worried that mine is starting to fuse onto the wall.Im thinking that we both have a good chance being at this stage that it will move as we progress.im preparing myself for c/s anyway as is more common with twins.

Good luck Linny, I'm sure your ob is keeping a close eye on it. One of my belly buddies had the same thing, over the cervical opening, and needed to be kept a very close eye on as she had issues with bleeding. She did need a c/s, but all is well now and her little boy is almost a year old!

Hi Linny,

Geez, that's a bit more serious than mine. I hope it all goes well for you. I'm sure, having twins, they keep a very close eye on you anyway. I wonder if it's more common with mutilple births, considering there isn't as much room for both placenta's?

I see the midwives next Tuesday and will find out about when I get booked in etc, but I'm not worried about it now. I would be a bit more worried if it was over the cervix.

Just be careful with bleeding and keep an eye on things and don't over do it and you'll be OK. I would think that your obs should check you a bit more regularly than they will with me, just because it is actually over the cervix already.

Take care and let me know how you go.

linny Guest

Hi Girls,

Tashie D- Ill be thinking of you tomorrow let us know how you get on.I wasnt trying to say mine was worse or anything i didnt mean it like that.Im hoping for both of us that it moves and that it wont be that bad.We are lucky they can do these checks on us these days and at least drs are prepared as well as us.Take care and ill speak to you tomorrow.

Jennifer13- Thanks it gives me relief to hear that your friend was ok and having a c/s although not my 1st choice im prepared for that to happen having twins anyway.Its all scary to me either way but as long as they are delivered safe thats the main thing.Im lucky i havent had any bleeding for months now and that was when my placentas were up the top go figure!lol.Im trying not to worry although i worry about everything so it not working very well...
    Take care and keep in touch

Hi Linny - IKWYM about how having a c/s is not your first choice, I was originally very upset with the idea. But once you know you have no choice I think you can focus better on what the outcome is going to be rather than worry about what might have been. I asked my ob heaps of qns about how the c/s would proceed and then got all prepared for bf, since that was something I had some control over! Good luck, twins are a wonderful blessing (my closest gf has identical twin girls that just started school and it's been a joy to be a part of their lives). You're in for an incredible journey!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast