Thread: Low Lying Placenta?

Default Low Lying Placenta?

I had my ultrasound yesterday and the sonographer asked if I had a low lying placenta in my other pg, I told him no and asked if I did this time, he said yes and that I'll need a scan in the third trimester.

My question...

Has anyone else had one and what does it mean for myself and the baby?

By the way this is my forth pg, if that makes any difference.

thanks

Hi Amanda

Usually your placenta will move higher as your pregnancy progresses and if that happens then there is no problem. If your placents does not move then, depending on how low your placenta is, you will need to have a C/S.
    If you need any more info just let me know.

Sal Guest

Hi Amanda, this is my first pg, and I was told at my 18w scan that my placenta was low. I had to have a follow-up scan at 34w, at which time they could tell that the cervix was completely clear from the placenta and all was fine. From what I was told, that happens 95% of the time. Hope this helps.

Thanks Alan and Sal, it's put my mind at ease, I guess that I'll have to wait until the next scan.

Hi there

I'm in the same boat as you! My first pregnancy with my daughter, the placenta was low at 18 week scan. Scan at 34 weeks showed it had moved up, but she was a breech baby and I needed a c-section (this can happen in any pregnancy mind you). My 2nd baby, a boy was delivered naturally. Now I am pregnant again, and this placenta is also low. So like you, I am waiting for the 34 week scan.

Good luck! It usually moves up!

Cathy