Thread: Lower Back pain

angelique Guest

Default Lower Back pain

Hi all,

Today I have lower back pain and I am a bit worried. It seems to ne above the pelvis. What has anyone done to relieve the pain and has anyone experienced this before? Is it something to worry about or is it normal for the second trimester?

angelique - its normal to have back pain as the ligaments stretch as you get bigger. I went to the chiro yesterday (I also have back problems so I'm a little different) because my pelvis was a bit out, which wasnt unusual but the Chiro also said that some other pains that I was having was because I was softening in preperation for birth etc.

Hope that helps.. perhaps some of the other girls are experiencing this?

angelique Guest

Hi princess T,

I have a weak back anyway and any extra standing really throws it out. Do u have to do any excerse for it at all to relieve the pain? Got any tips?

I do Pilates which helps a lot. Its also helps with keeping the Pelivic floor strong which is good for women who are pregnant. Do you see anyone for your back problems? Perhaps they or your Dr. could help you out with some excersizes?

Custardtart Guest

I would also recommend Pilates, and heat packs to relieve the pain. I have a spinal injury and did Pilates throughout this pregnancy. As a result I suffered very little back pain, in contrast to my first two pregnancies where I had no injury but did a different sort of exercise and had horrible back pain.

Kerrie

angelique Guest

Can back ache come on this early in pregnancy? I do have a large tummy!!

Default lower back pain

Hi angelique!
    I so know how you feel! I'm almost 23 weeks but have had lower back pain for the last couple of months. My OB said it was because your body produces a hormone that stretches out the ligaments. I find housework the most painful, sweeping and washing up especially. I haven't really tried anything, I just rest until it stops hurting and that seems to do the trick. I do sleep with a pillow between my knees though and for some reason this takes the pressure off.

Custardtart Guest

Angelique, yes it can come on that early. As the other girls said, it's the pregnancy hormones softening the ligaments that causes the pain, not necessarily the added weight. Do take steps to minimise it and exercise right - I know it's a nuisance, but in the third trimester you will really appreciate the difference the exercise makes.

Kerrie

I found an aqua class run by a physio for pregnant women and this was fantastic! I went once a week and it helped my back so much. There are lots of these classes around...