thread: Mater Mothers too busy!!!!

Mar 2009
    Brisbane Qld

Mater Mothers too busy!!!!

Hi I am 16 weeks with #4 and sent my referral letter off to the Mater Mothers Hospital here in Brissy over a month a go and got a letter yesterday telling me they are too busy and are not taking any more maternity bookings..well that really sucks I had all my babies at the Mater and they were fantastic with all 3. So I have to find another hospital and hope that the Brissy Baby Boom doesnt have everything booked out. Thinking I might go Royal Womans. I live on Southside of Brisvegas. Anyway that is my whinge for the day hope everyone is happy and healthy.

Jan 2009
    Brisbane

What about Mater Redlands - do they take public patients? It is the same organisation.

Mar 2009
    Brisbane Qld

No I think it is only private I thought of that

BellyBelly Member
    Add Tobily on Facebook

May 2004
    Brisbane

Redlands hospital (public) is good. I'd go there over the RWH. Not sure where you are but they will take women as far in as Belmont.
    Are you outside the Mater catchment area?

Jan 2009
    Brisbane

Tobily I was just thinking that - being on the southside you are out of the Royals catchment area Nina - I don't think you would get in.

I have heard good things about Redlands Hospital for thier maternity services.

Jul 2008
    Home with my Son :)

I am a gold coaster and I had my babies at Royal Women's due to the fact I was a high risk pregnacy.. I have nothing but great reports about that hospital.. Whether it was because I was high risk I got 'special attention' or not I am not sure, (wouldn't think so but you never know??) but I would definately recommend them and I wouldn't consider having my next bub anywhere else.. I would be interested to know anyone elses opinion??

Jul 2006
    Logan

Dare I say it but my girls were born at Logan and I found them fantastic. My cousin is a midwife at Mater Private and she recommends Logan over Mater Public anyday

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Hi Nina,
    Congratulations on #4! I had my Bub 10 weeks ago at logan and they were brilliant. I was really unsure when I was preg and even considered going to the gold coast hospital but honestly I would highly recommend them. Hope your problem gets sorted

Mar 2009
    Brisbane Qld

No I didnt know they had a catchment area but I have always lived around the same area and have had all the kids at the mater. They said they just have too many maternity bookings for that time.

Does the Royal have a catchment area? I might be forced to go to Logan or the Gold Coast I will check out Redlands too, I googled it but it only came up with the private one. Thanks for the input girls I will work it out

Mar 2009
    Brisbane Qld

Ok Royal does have a catchment area and I am not in it BUT I phoned Redlands and they sounded really lovely and they are quite happy to take me yay!!! So Redlands it is and it is actually closer than the others I am happy with that.

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Are you going private or public? I am with Mater Public.

I got a similar letter from the Mater and freaked out. Turns out that they just referred me to a private obs at the Mater as a public patient. Are you sure they can't take you? I was sure they I would have to find somewhere else but the letter was just confusing.

Best of luck hun .

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

Wow, I didn't know that as a public hossy that they would refuse you! You could always just show up in labour...lol, dare them to refuse then!

Glad you got it all sorted out though. Oh and congratulations too!!

Mar 2009
    Brisbane Qld

They said it was a safety issue, that they couldnt safely book in too many patients for that time which is October.
    oscaroscar I never thought of that I didnt even ring them that was probably the case....doesnt matter I have booked in to Redlands now and everyone says it is fantastic and not near as busy so there are only 1 or 2 mums to a room.

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

The new mater mothers only has single rooms (private) or double rooms (public).

Sorry you couldnt get in but wahoo for Redlands!

Mar 2009
    Brisbane Qld

Typical!!!! Its new and they wont take me I didn't know they had new rooms.
    I had my first 2 Mater Private beautiful but I found it a little lonely at times but it was great to know you weren't disturbing anyone else and could put your TV on anytime.
    #3 was born Mater Public and the delivery rooms are the same for public and private and there was only 1 other woman in with me it was just as good and a lot cheaper..

I am sure Redlands will be just as nice

Good luck oscaroscar not long now...wishing you all the best for a safe arrival.

Jul 2006
    Logan

Relands is nice, you'll be fine

Apr 2009
    Brisbane

Hello everyone,

I'm a midwifery student currently in my second year at the University of Queensland, Brisbane and I was looking for some expectant mum's who would be interested in having me follow-you-through your pregnancy. It pretty much involves me supporting you antenatally, during your labour and birth and the early postnatal period in whatever way you want!

If you are having your baby at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, the Mater or Ipswich and would be interested or want some more information please reply or email me at : [email protected]

Thanks for reading