Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migraines during pregnancy

Question Migraines during pregnancy

Hey all, just wondering if anyone else has had migraines during their pregnancies? I haven't had them for about 10 years or something, then the other day, got a headache that felt different and I'm like, yeah, this isn't normal, so I popped some panadol and it didn't go away, but didn't get any worse. However, I got all the normal migraine symptoms that I usually get, tingly fingers, numb tongue and blurred vision. Then last night, I got the sharpest pain in my chest, right in the middle (but sorta to the right) and went on for ages, couldn't breathe in at all etc. This morning I got another pain, but it was more to the left side of my chest and went straight away. Now, I've got another headache, and my hand feels kinda tingly, like I'm getting a migraine!! Has anyone else had these symptoms during the second trimester and should I be worried? I mean, my blood pressure is fine (well was two weeks ago when I got it checked at the OB) and is this relatively normal? I don't remember it happening when I was pregnant with DS (which of course leads to my DH saying its cos this one is a girl :-)) Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

I suffered migraines during all my pregnancy's but I would suggest you go for a checkup anyway with the chest pain.

Crap.. I hate doctors!!!! ;-)

I agree that you go to the doctor - any kink of chest pain should be checked out!

As your whole body changes during pregnancy to accommodate the ever-growing baby, it's quite normal for extra stresses and strains to be placed on your pelvis/spine/upper body. Some of these areas might have had minor problems in the past but your body coped OK, however now with the added changes of pregnancy these 'minor' problems become harder for your body to cope with. Your body will compensate for alot of things, but if your whole body is under pressure then this can lead to a "corkscrew" effect with lower back problems transferring to upper back, which transfer to your neck and shoulders, which then transfer to your head leaving you with a whopping headache/migraine.

The chest pains could just be due to extra pressure on your rib-cage/upper back but I'd get it check out just in case.

HTH

ETA: if you get the chest pains OK'd by your doctor, I'd be heading to see an osteopath or physio to help you with the musculoskeletal problems.
    Last edited by Amie; February 1st, 2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Oops, didn't offer any suggestions!

Thanks Sarah. I know with DS I had some weird pains down the sides of my belly and stuff, but that was all put down to muscles expanding etc. Never had a pain quite like this before. And I know that my back and neck are always tight and in need of a massage !! (I'm still looking for a new person on the sunshine coast since my massage lady moved away...sob sob!!) I do yoga in an attempt to help loosen the old muscles up a bit, but even my three days at work is enough to get them all tight again. doesn't help when you sit behind a desk all day staring at a computer screen!!! :-) I promise, if the pains continue, I will see a doc. If they don't.. yippeee!!!!!

For sure, sitting at a desk all day is tough at the best of times! If you need any recommendations for people to see on the sunshine coast, let me know and I can PM you. Hope the migraines stay away!

I'd love some recommendations Sarah if you wouldn't mind... I'm yet to really find people that come highly recommended!! most people keep their recommendations to themselves :-) (some people just aren't sharers.. haha)

For sure! I'll PM you now...

When is your next ob visit? Migraines are common through preg but can be a sign of pre-eclampisa, so if your bp hasn't been checked in 2 weeks you should get it checked again, and do a urine test for protein. It's better to know than not know!

Hi Dee, my next OB appointment isn't until the 26th Feb I think? my last appointment was on the 22nd Jan. I thought with pre-eclampsia you had white spots in front of your eyes or something as well? and a pain? which don't stress me out but I have had a sharp pain in my tummy just under my boobs!!!! But is it too early at this stage to get it? I haven't read too much about it unfortunately!!

Even just normal headaches can be a symptom Mel. Don't stress about it, but do get your bp checked son just in case. 15 weeks is probably too early to get it, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I posted a thread in the platinum section so dont think i can link it for it to work.
    (heres the link anyways : http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=53961)

I have had migrains during this pregnancy but not DS. My BP has always been perfect.
    My migrains are the same as yours with the vision, gibberish and numbness. Ive had 2 during this pregnancy so far and in the other thread there were other ladies who said theyve had them too and their babies turned out fine. I think it is just a symptom. Just have to be careful what to take. I had no panadol in the house last one and sculled a heap of water.. seemed to work actually.
    Dont stress youself too much about pre-eclampsia, but do mension your migrains at your next appointment. My doctors/midwives just noted it on file, didnt seem too concerned over them.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; February 1st, 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Ok.. i just found out what it is called:

Migraine with Aura
    While most migraine sufferers experience visual problems during the headache, you may be someone whose migraine begins with an aura, a manifestation of neurological symptoms. Generally, the aura begins from five to thirty minutes before the actual onset of the headache. You may see wavy or jagged lines, dots or flashing lights; or, you experience tunnel vision or blind spots in one or both eyes. The aura can include vision or hearing hallucinations and disruptions in smell (such as strange odors), taste or touch. It can become even more disconcerting or frightening if it involves feelings of numbness, a "pins-and-needles" sensation or even difficulty in recalling or speaking the correct word. These neurological events may last sixty minutes and will fade as the headache begins.
    Thats exactly what i get, and by the sounds of it what you do too.

That quote sounds exactly what i get. I too haven't had migraines for about 10 years and have seen three of them in this pregnancy! ALways when i am at school! The one i had this week went away with some tablets (OB said it was OK to take mercyndol!!! was only taking panadol before and that did nothing to help) but did feel yuck for about 1h and half. I hate them

Kel - thats exactly the type of migraine that I get. I went to the docs on saturday and he checked me out, couldn't think of any reason for the chest pain, said worst case scenario is that I have a blood clot on my lung, so if I start coughing up blood, to go for further testing obviously!! He just said to keep an eye on it. Said migraines were common during pregnancy and not to worry about it. Just thought I would update in case anyone else is getting chest pain. :-)

glad to hear it is nothing serious

Thanks Mel :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast