Thread: NEED to see a dentist

Default NEED to see a dentist

OK, after flossing some time last week, my teeth in one area have all been very sensitive to hot & cold, and last night after eating dinner, one tooth in particular gave me so much grief and wouldn't stop throbbing. Now it's really really tender (feels like when I had braces and they'd just been adjusted)

I'm not asking anyone to diagnose what's going on in there hehe But if I take myself off to the dentist today, what do I need to be careful of? and what can he do if I need a filling or something? I was kinda under the impression they can't do a lot when you're pregnant.

Not sure I can put up with this for the rest of the pg!!

Ivana... Just make sure you tell tehm you are pregnant... if it isnt obvious... my SIL had a filling with anesthetic when she was preggy.... with now problems

Thanks mitch. I guess they can't really leave a hole untreated, would probably abcyss. In which case, I hope it IS a hole that can filled and fixed! If it's just a gum problem I'll prolly have to put up with it :/

If it does turn out to be just your gums, they may suggest a sensitive toothpaste...

Hope it is nothing major....

Ivana - I ahve had really bad bleeding gums and a hot and cold patch - it has gone now - Make sure you tell them your pregnant coz your not meant to get X-rays - and they might want to x-ray oyur mouth

Thanks guys. I've already been using sensodyne.. and even rubbing it directly over my teeth & gums like an ointment! Today tho, two of my teeth are extremely tender (kinda like when I used to have braces and had them adjusted).

Anyway... I have an appointment tomorrow with the dentist. I told them I'm pregnant, and they said we'll chat about it tomorrow. It all depends what stage I'm at, and what needs to be done. So I'll give an update tomorrow on what they say is the go when your pregnant.

Hi Ivana

My DH used to be a Dental Assistant and said the dentist can do just about anything except x-rays. Don't worry too much if he/she still does amalgm filings the risk of mercury leakage is very low and it takes like thousands of years to leak into your system - unless you've found the liquid of external life you should be okay! (hehe!)

I've chipped my tooth but don't want to spend the money atm - obstet and scans are eating into my part time wage!

HOpe it goes well for you honey.

update: well, he thinks I'm grinding my teeth, and bruised one of my teeth. He said it's unlikely to be an absys as there was no decay in the tooth. He put it down to either the stress of being pregnant (altho I'm not stressed ) or the more likely one of my sinuses making me clench my teeth at night. Since I have suffered from sinus headaches during the pg that one makes more sense. So I just have to try and consciously leave it alone and see if it gets better.

As for x-rays etc... he said it really depends on how I felt about it. He said they are pretty safe with the shields and things, but most women opt not to do it. I guess if you absolutely need it done (which I didn't coz he didn't think it would be an absys) it is safe enough. But we didn't go into much detail with it.

Another update - if anyone's interested! LOL

Saw the OB yesterday afternoon after seeing the dentist. I mentioned I'd had to see the dentist, and he said it's perfectly safe to have any xrays if I need them, as long as they use the proper shielding. He said the xrays are pointed directly at the tooth so they're perfectly safe.