Thread: Need some back pain relief advice

Default Need some back pain relief advice

I'm starting to get a sore back, just under my shoulder blades. I had the same thing with Lily and it seems to have perminantly damanged it in some way as it's never been the same since. Heat packs don't work and neither do professional massages. Just wondering if anyone had some good ideas?

I have always had issues with my back and when I'm PG its worse, I started swimming to help and it did wonders. Also physio work.

A trick that I was taught from an instructor at the gym is to put my back close up to a wall and place a tennis ball between your shoulder blades, then slide your back up and down a bit so the ball rolls along those muscles near the spine/shoulder blades, and it gives you a bit of a massage/relief. Not sure if this will target the right spot for you though, but I hope it may help a little.

Hi Tegan,

I get pain in the same area. When you say yours doesn't respond to massages or heat packs, do you mean the relief is only temporary or that there is actually no response to such therapy? As an example, mine is purely muscular so it does respond temporarily to heat packs and massages but inevitably, the tension builds up again and it needs more therapy. I am wondering if your pain might be something different if it does not respond at all to these therapies.

The thing with muscular pain (and probably any kind of back pain really) is that maintenance is ongoing. Doing as much preventative work every day as you can (and I know it's hard with a baby) will do a large amount of good and will eventually lessen the severity of the pain you are experiencing.

Maybe a consultation with a physiotherapist or similar is a good idea. Once you've identified the problem, you can work out how to manage it.

Cheers,

Mel

Mel - with heat packs and hot water it doesn;t work at all even while the heat is on the area. With massage its fine while i'm having the massage but as soon as they stop(pretty much straight away) it will start to hurt again. It hurts, to stand, sit, lay down.

Tegan I had shocking back pain with DS last year. What I found worked for me was physio 2 times a week, and I also worked out that the pressure of my bra strap on my back was causing the pain. As soon as I started wearing a stretchy singlet top instead the pain just vanished. I couldn't wear the type with 'hidden support' shelf bra thing in it as the elastic from that hurt too. If your BB's aren't too big and you can cope with minimum support, give it a try. It was the thing that saved my sanity!

Oh yeah, the other thing my physio suggested was to use a tennis ball and roll it between your back and the wall and it would work by applying pressure to the exact spot of pain. Many times during the wee small hours of the night did I have to get up and do this until I stopped wearing a bra!

Oh, i love to not wear a bra, but i think it'd just make it worse. I'm heading towards a D cup now and before i had Lily i was only an A, so i'm not really used to it at all!

Do physios cost much? I don't have private health..

My physio was about $40 per visit. Fortunately I got $20 back on health insurance so it made it a lot more affordable. I understand this isn't the case for you.

Perhaps it's worth having one or two visits to see if they make a difference.

Tegan I got free physio through my hospital when I called the midwives & spoke with them about intense hip/back pain when I was pregnant with Matilda. Maybe check with the midwives and see if there is something available through your hospital?

Wow, I was planning to post a similar question in here today...my back has been killing me...in a similar spot...just under the shoulder blades. I only just got a new bra (a maternity one) and this afternoon I wondered if that's what could be causing the problem...I've since taken it off and my back does feel better?!?! I don't know how long for or if that's the real reason or not but I know I can't go without a bra during the day at work. At least I can try it over the weekend and see how I'm feeling tomorrow night.

Thanks for the tips girls...I might try the tennis ball thing too!