Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: normal weight gain in 2nd Tri?

Default normal weight gain in 2nd Tri?

Just wondering how much weight people have gained during there pg up to 2nd Trimester?
    I am a small girl - 160ish cm tall and weighed about 50kg prior to pg. I am just over 17weeks and have put on aout 4kgs so far - large jump just in this week.
    I am not really concerned just interested to know whether this is roughly "normal", to much, to little?

I lost weight in 1st tri, and put on 7kg's in 2nd tri... dreading weighing in next time... though...

I think it's normal to put on 15 kg's through out, but also a lot of people put on 20... so is there a norm??

I also lost weight in the 1st Tri (4kgs) but put it back on in 2nd and have added another 5kgs. My friend pre-preg was 55kgs and ended up 80 by the end (put on heaps in 1st tri)....but lost 15kgs in first two weeks via breastfeeding....
    I read that of all the weight we put on during pregnancy, we put on roughly 10% of it from 0-3 months, 25% 3-5 months, 45% 5-7 months and the last 20% in months 7-9...but who knows!

As long as you and bub are healthy weight gain is good. This is my 2nd pg and I am 26 weeks and I have put on 8kgs, but with my first pg my total gain was 12kgs. I was told that after 26wks the weight gain averages at half a kg each week. HTH

Ist trimester and beginning of second I don't gain a gram.
    Starting at 20 weeks I start gaining quickly. I have put on about 4kg in the last month or so.
    With my daughter I gained 13kg total so I'm hoping for about the same this time.

Dont worry too much about your weight gain. My Obs informed me that 1kg per month is healthy. I put on about 15 kgs by the end of the pregnancy (which is the norm), and lost about 7 after i gave birth (due to lack of baby of course!). I am now 8kgs over my pre-pregnancy weight, but its gradually coming off. I was told not to loose weight too quickly after birth, or you can end up with alot of excess skin. So take your time when it comes to getting rid of your "baby fat" at the end. dont worry about your weight gain... remember, you need to take in those extra calories for bub to grow big and strong.

I put on about 17 kilos, most of it in the first tri!!!!!!! My friend put on over 30, mostly in first and second tri. We were both normal and had normal sized bubs xo

i never actually put any weight on. I kept losing it - ended up losing 20 kilo's by the time i had charlie - i don't think that its healthy to not put weight on but i couldn't help it.
    don't worry one of my friends put on 30 kilo's in first 6 months then stayed the same till the end - but she lost it all really quick

Meredith, like you I am about 160 - 165 cms tall and weighed about 50kgs pre pg. First pg I put on heaps - 16 kgs all up I think but lost it all very easily with bf. In fact, I kept losing weight bf right up until conceiving. This pg I bf for the first 4 months and put on only 4kgs in all that time. Then DS self-weaned and I have now put on another 2 or 3 kgs. Not nearly as much as the first time around. Funny, first pg I was worried I was putting on too much, this time I've been worried about not enough.

But if ob/midwife is not worried, don't worry. It appears that there is a very wide range in acceptable weight gains.

Melanie

Bessi Guest

I'm with all of you on this one - don't worry about "the norm", if your Dr/Midwife isn't worried then it's probably fine. I put on 19kg during my pregnancy but lost 11kg as soon as I had my son and am slowly losing the rest through breastfeeding, walking etc. I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy your pregnancy if you can it will be over so soon!

I lost 3kgs in the first tri then put on 7 kgs so far so am really 4 kgs over my prepregnancy weight. Most of it has been in the last 4 weeks because I've been so hungry! I really dont want to put on too much more but if I do it it doesnt really matter. Ive got 6 weeks to go so if i put on 1/2 - 1kg a week I'll be happy

I am 16 weeks and I have so far gained 2.2kgs. My boobs have gone from a B cup to a D cup so I'm sure most of it is carried there.

I'm 22 weeks and very little and so far have put on 2kgs. I've heard about 10kgs overall is normal. but as long as you have a healthy baby - who cares!! it's a good time to add some weight and not feel toooooo guilty! where's my timtams....

Just read DGirls post - i've gone to an E cup so yeah, i'd say thats where my 2kgs is!!

All up I put on 15kgs in my whole pregnancy.

My Obs said that 2kg per month is normal. If you put on more then that in one month, anything over 2kgs is fat you are putting on.

I put on 3kgs in two of the months and 4 kgs another (the rest I put on 2kg or under). I lost 10kg in the first week, and sure enough, I am 4kg heavier then what I was before I was pregnant, and don't fit into my prepregnancy clothes, so I think there is some truth about it.

i think i have put on about 6kg since i was six weeks preg
    before that i dont know what i weighed as i had just lost 15kg and was in denial that i was not keeping it off so i was not weighing myself (ignorance is bliss)
    so i guess that is pretty bad 6kgs in 8 weeks..... whoops

i have put on about 3-4 kgs this preg so far and i am 14 weeks.
    With my DS i put on 6kgs the whole preg, and with DD i put on 23kgs.
    Although i had alot of fluid with DD.
    Enjoy your pregnancy!
    Jenni

xox_jessie_xox Guest

umm so far i have put on 7kgs so far... and i have only put that on lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast