Thread: NT Scan...how late is too late?

Question NT Scan...how late is too late?

So I am almost 15 weeks...and still no NT Scan.

DH is away every second week for work, so I put it off, but couldn't get an appointment this week, and he leaves for work again today - and wont be back until next Thursday...

By which time I will be almost 16 weeks.

He really wants to be there, but I am wondering if by then it is too late to do whatever it is they have to do for it?

I was told between 11-14 weeks is the cut off. Maybe just call the scanning place and ask?

I had mine done at 20 weeks. It was supposed to be just a dating scan but when they discovered how pregnant I was they ended up doing the NT and half the morphology all at once. There didn't seem to be any issues with accuracy, well none that were expressed to me anyway.

Ace

Thanks girls.

Off to docs tomorrow so will check, but would rather wait if we can.

I've always been told between 11 and 14 (as in no time after 13wks 6 days) but what lilias said the scan place will tell you they were always quick to tell me "we will only do it between xwks and y wks, no maam you can't have it at 10wks 6 days".

Yeah, I was told 13w6d was the latest.

They might still do it after that, but it's not peak accuracy period anymore, ITMS?

there is the Triple Screen test which i think is around 16 to 18 weeks, just a copy from the web below...

...A triple screen is a blood test that measures three things called alpha-fetoprotein, human chorionic gonadotropin and unconjugated estriol. The results of the blood test can help your doctor see if your baby may be at higher risk for certain birth defects such as Down syndrome and neural tube defects...

But google it to get more information.

this doesn't seem as popular here, but when I was living in Namibia pregnant with DD, this is what they offered me instead of the combined blood & nuchal at 12 weeks.

L x

I was told no later than the 13th week for my Nuchal Translucency Scan... Good Luck!

You can't have an accurate nuchal scan at 20 weeks......

The thickening on the back of the neck dissipates over time, thus giving an inaccurate/false scan result. Pretty sure 16 weeks is too late for a NT test. The time frame is somewhere near 13-14 weeks.

The blood test test doesn't have the same time constraints. So you could just have that done. But the highest accuracy is when both tests (combined with your age) are done and risks are calculated.

I recently had my NT scan, from my earlier dating scan I was 12 weeks and 5 days, but was measuring 13 weeks and 5 days when I had the NT scan, she said that she may not be able to do it - she said it is alot harder as the baby is more developed and moves around alot more making it much harder for them to get an accurate measurement. She did manage, but it took a long time as the baby was moving alot and was very insistent on lying on its tummy cuddled up to the placenta!

Yep from what I have found we have missed the boat...but not too concerned really, from what people say it isn't exactly the most accurate test regardless. Spoke with DH last week, explaining to him what it was etc, and he said that it wouldnt matter anyway as he is completely not ok with having a CVS done if anything is shown up - so not much point getting the scan if we arent prepared to have the follow up tests if anything is wrong I suppose.

Will get the bloods done anyway though.

Thanks again ladies!

There are 2 different blood screens you can get done- 1st trimester screening is the one done in conjunction with the NT scan.

2nd trimester maternal serum screening is a blood test taken between week 14 to 20 (optimal 15-17 weeks) and gives you a risk value for trisomy 21, trisomy 18 and neural tube defects such as spina bifida. If you get bloods taken before week 15, you may not get a caculated risk for neural tube defects.