Thread: officially overweight :(

Thumbs down officially overweight :(

lol so i may be a little obsessed but its the first time ina long tome where my bmi has said i am overweight... obviously at almost 4 months preg bmi dosn't count but i just feel fat
    i am 5'2 and just hit 66 kilos which apparantly if i wasn't preg would mean i had a weight problem??? i really didn't think i was getting that big till i found that out.. anyway i know this is all stupid it was just on my mind so i thought i would get it out..

storm04 Guest

Your having a baby your allowed to put on weight i dont really class you as being over weight though, personally i love the fact that i have a cleavage for a few months. Pregnancy is a beautiful thing and when you hold that baby for the first time the last thing you really worry about is how much wieght you gained. I know usually with all my pregnancies i put on the most weight in the first few months and i felt really frumpy coz i didnt look pregnant! I then tended to stop and slow down so it wasnt really a great deal through the whole pregnancy anyhow Enjoy it
    Last edited by storm04; March 24th, 2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: i cant type :)

~Jane~ Guest

You sound like me, I always worry about my weight. You aren't overweight though as the calculation hasn't allowed for the fact you are pregnant, just like it doesn't allow for people wth more muscle which is one of the flaws with the BMI. I think I read in the Good Weekend a few years ago George Clooney and Brad Pitt were considered overweight purely based on their BMI because they were heavier from their muscle bulk.

You will know if you really are overweight or not by other parts of the body and if I were you I would scrap the BMI calculations until well after you have bubs.

Noni - try not to fret about this. Your body is doing exactly what nature designed it too. Try to concentrate on the feeling of how this is nurturing a new life within you and forget about the numbers!

thanks guys i am not fretting about it it was just something i needa to let out iykwim? now that its out i am over it lol

Just enjoy the feeling of growing a bubby, and think about your weight later. Sooner then later all your spots where you feel fat will start to take shape into a baby belly. Then it becomes obvious to you and the world that your little person is growing strong.

You still have a lot of belly growing to do yet, Mary is right forget the figures and enjoy the ride!

I personally don't like weight as a measurement.

When I was 65 kilos, I was in size 10 clothes, and I'm only 5'2". I have a lot of muscle and always weigh more than I look.

Because of that, I wouldn't consider 66 kilos overweight!

And forget the whole thing when you are pregnant, I don't go near the scales unless I have to to watch fluid retention. Putting on weight in pregnancy is a good sign that your body is doing what it's supposed to and it's growing your bubba.

Relax for the next 6 months at least and enjoy it

Try not to stress I've already put on weight and Im only about 10wks in! Ikwym about just needing to get it out though I keep looking in the mirror and see how bloated I look already I'm really tall but have a really small torso. My mum is 5"3 (somehow I managed to once fit in her tummy! lol) and weighs 65kgs but shes a twig shes just a gym freak and is slim and muscley. I'm glad you got it off your chest and feel a bit better now just know you are in the same boat as many preggie ladies

pint Guest

Yes, I am overweight too. I don't care.

Everytime I go to the OB he says I have put on weight "You have put on 1kg a week"

Although people say I don't look it, should I say something is wrong with the OB's digital scales??
    As long as baby is ok and you are, that is all that matters.

Weight gain is a stupid thing to measure in pegnancy, unless you put ona huge amount in a small time then you're fine. As for overweight... pfwah! In a few months you'll be on the best weight-loss programme ever, it's called birth and you'll lose 5kg in about a minute, plus more a few hours around the big event (with waters breaking and placenta loss).

1kg a week is fine! I went through a stage of doing that (but no weight gain inT1) and didn't do me any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
    Weight gain is a stupid thing to measure in pegnancy, unless you put ona huge amount in a small time then you're fine. As for overweight... pfwah! In a few months you'll be on the best weight-loss programme ever, it's called birth and you'll lose 5kg in about a minute, plus more a few hours around the big event (with waters breaking and placenta loss).
    That is so true...and you can really keep the momentum going when you get home with your new baby. This is my final pregnancy and I look forward to really working the weight off for good when I have had my bubba. Thats what I said last time...but this time is definitely my last LOL!

Jac

Just remember, with the BMI is doesn't count when you're pg as you've got to consider other things such as baby, placenta, essential fats etc.