Thread: Is it Ok to sleep on your back?

Question Is it Ok to sleep on your back?

Good afternoon,
    Perhaps an odd questions, but is it Ok to sleep on your back? I have heard a few differing opinions on this and can't quite seem to make sense of it.

Some say you shouldn't sleep on your back at all but others have said it's Ok if your head is on a pillow.....I've also heard that it relates only to the second and third trimesters.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks

I thought it was because the pressure of sleeping on your back can restrict blood vessels to you and bubs so they may not be getting all the nutrients they need and should avoid sleeping on your back once the placenta takes over at around 13 weeks. I dont know how serious it is though my dr said sleep for mummy is the most important thing and if u can only by being on your back then so be it!

I do... I can't help it

Tanya

becmc Guest

I think it is recommended not to because of cutting off blood flow. When pregnant from about week 16 I cant anyway because I feel really weird and dizzy.

Ive been told preggie pillows help wonders in helping making sleeping on ur side comfortable toys r us are having a sale at the moment i think they have a nice big puffy one on special at the moment

i cant either - i can feel the pressure of my inside quashing my back..... everything i have read suggests its not the best possie as the atery that runs down the spine to send blood to bubs and you legs is inferior and can squash quite easily.

they say to try lye on your left side.. but there is only so long youcan stay on that side before it feels dead...... cant win.

Try popping a pillow under one side of you so that the main pressure is off your back.

I was told not to sleep on back after I think about 20 weeks.. because babys weight squishes the blood flow to baby. I found too uncomfortable on my back anyway - too much pressure in my belly and it made me feel dizzy.

I found a body pillow, or half a donna is a great support instead of lying on your back. I must look so sexy when hubby comes to bed. Comfort comes first LOL!

Lying on your back does not restrict blood vessels that run to your baby. But the weight of your baby can compress the inferior vena cava which is a lrage blood vessel that carries de-oxygenated blood from your lower body (legs) back to your heart and then the lung to get oxygenated again.
    If this vein does get constricted, you will feel quite uncomfortable, light-headed and maybe even out of breath. If this happens in your sleep, you usually just roll over without noticing.
    The inferior vena cava runs along the right side of the spinal column which is one of the reasons why doctors recommend lying on your left side. The other reason is to avoid putting pressure on your liver which is on your right side.

I have been really trying to sleep on my left side and a body pillow really does do wonders. But I still sometimes wake up on my back or can't get to sleep in any other position. My mum slept on her back the entire time with both of her pregnancies and the babies were fien (if I may say so myself ). So I think the moral of the story is, sleeping on your left is ideal, but if you seelp on your left all the time, you will get pressure sores and sore hips and shoulders. Try to sleep like that as much as possible, but the main thing is to be able to sleep and get some rest. Sometimes I think we get too much information nowadays and end up driving ourselves insane. Don't worry too much, our grandmothers had healthy babies, too. And they probably slept on their backs, ate soft cheeses and lunch meat and generally just got on with their day.

Thanks so much for your replies.
    The reason I asked was that the only comfortable place for me to lay is on my back. My little bubbas in the breech position and has started to lift my diaphragm and stretch my muscles beyond belief. So I have constant pain under my BBs. By night time all my ribs at the front and back feel like there bruised and when I lay on my side I feel like they're going to break.

So I'll try propping a pillow / doona under half of my back so I'm tilted to the side. Dont want to be cutting off blood flow or anything else like that.

Thanks again

paradise lost Guest

I sleep on my back with my arms above my head (much to DP's irritation ). I did this throughout pregnancy, despite trying to sleep on my side at the end. IMO if you can't sleep neither you nor the baby is going to be having a good time of a pregnancy.

I woke up flat on my back when my waters broke and though DD was a tiny bit posterior during my 10 hours of pre-labour, i spent a lot of that time rocking on my knees and leaning forward on a dining chair to allow her chance to mooch round a bit, my actual labour was under 4 hours and she came out fine. Worry not.

HTH

My OBS said it was ok but suggested to sleep a bit more propped up. So what I do is sleep with 3 pillows, two supporting my neck/top of my back and the 3rd length ways supporting my whole back.