Thread: Our First Hospital Appointment

Debbie Lee Guest

Default Our First Hospital Appointment

Hi everyone,
    I thought I would start up a new thread for this so that I don't clog up the 2nd Trimester chatter (you all know how I can go on and on and on an on...... and so on, hehehe).
    Anyway, our first appointment went REALLY well! I am so rapt with Geelong hospital!
    I hate being late for anything so Neil and I met outside the hospital at 9:10am (appointment not until 9:30am). I get lost very easily so I wanted to make sure I got to the antenatal clinic with plenty of time to spare. I went to the reception desk and they asked me to go and sit in the "Yellow" waiting area. Everything is colour-coded which is quite ingenious really! Makes it easy for silly-billies like me. Neil wanted to sit in the "Green" area so I had to convince him to move because everything had to be 'just right'
    No sooner did we sit down than we were called into one of the rooms! It wasn't even 9:30 yet! I was stoked. No waiting around at all. The doctor got me up on the bed straight away and, within seconds, there was little Nobba up on the screen! It was SOOOOOOO cool! It wasn't moving around or anything but you could see its little heart beating away and its little brain inside its head. It had 2 arms and 2 legs and everything right where it should be. The scan was pretty fuzzy so there was no way of telling the sex but that's ok. It was just so amazing!
    I got 2 pictures which I will try and put onto the site ASAP (having a little bit of trouble with it at the moment).
    The doctor was wonderful (she was pregnant aswell) and she didn't say anything about my big belly. I was prepared for nasty comments but I didn't get even a weird look which was lovely.
    We then had to go back to the waiting area and only had to sit for 5 minutes until the midwife was ready. We were probably in with her for an hour (Neil decided to stay since we were ahead of schedule) and she went through a whole lot of stuff like my family medical history, my medical history etc. etc. When I told her about the history of still births in the family she took it pretty seriously and explained how things have changed these days. Less risks are taken and there is far more monitoring throughout the pregnancy now days. I was very happy with how she really listened to me and made me feel at ease about it.
    She took my blood pressure and it was on the high side. Considering I have a history of high blood pressure, she was a little concerned about it.
    She consulted with a Dr. and she came in to speak to me about a few things. She wants me to have another blood test for the "Slapped Cheek" (parvovirus) virus going around at the school just to make sure I haven't contracted it (even though I have no symptoms). She just wants to keep on top of it since I am in contact with children so much. She also wanted me to get a test for my immunity to chicken pox. I have already have them (and have some scars to prove it) but she just wants to make sure.
    As far as my blood pressure was concerned, she told me that shared care probably wouldn't be a good option because it puts me in the "High Risk" category. So, I have to go through the Drs at the clinic at the hospital. In a way, I don't mind doing that because it means that I will be more closely monitored (easing my fears about having a still-birth) but it is going to be a pain in the bum because there's no flexibility with appointment times. I have to go in again in another 2 weeks to check my progress and I could only get an appointment on a thursday at 10am - no earlier. When I work 45 minutes away, that eats right into my day so I will probably have to take the whole day off. Another day of sick-leave wasted!
    My second ultra-sound is booked at 8:30am and I am sure that it won't take all that long so I will probably only need the morning off work for that one. That's not too bad. I may ask if I can just take unpaid leave and get my class split up for the morning to save some sick leave and to save the school some money for an emergency teacher. I am not sure they will go for it but I can only ask.
    So, all in all, I am thoroughly rapt with the quality of care I received at the hospital. They really went in depth with questions and really listened to me. I came out of there feeling over the moon for getting to see Little Nobba and knowing I am in good hands. Even though I am in a high-risk category, I was told that there is medication I can take for high blood pressure that is safe during pregnancy. Better to nip it in the bud now I suppose!

So, that was my first hospital appointment! I have my next Ultrasound (the good one) on October 22 when I am 19 weeks but before that I go in to the hospital again on October 7 to see how the tests went.

I still haven't booked in for antenatal classes so I will give them a call tomorrow to do that (I completely forgot because my mind was boggled with information). Man, they give you a LOT of stuff to read! I have to get a decent folder to store it all in!

Am going to try and upload the photos now. Hopefullyt the site is up and running again so that you can have a peek!

Yay Deb!!! That is great to hear that you are soooo happy with everything. I am thrilled for you! And another Yay for little Nobba!!

Tanya

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad everything went well at your first appt... and that little Nobba is doing well

It's a bit scary to be put in the high risk group, but at the same time, it's reassuring to know that you'll be getting a bit of extra atention to make sure everything runs smoothly.

YAY again!!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks Tanya and Zola!
    I'm probably being a little self-indulgent but I am just SO excited! It's really real!

The photos of the scan are up on the site now. I think that babiesonline was just cracking the poos earlier!

Glad to hear that your appt went so well Deb!!!
    It sounds like such a good hospital...
    and I agree with Zola - at least it is reassuring to know they will monitoring everything extra carefully... sounds like little Nobba wil be in good hands!!
    I checked out his first photos too! ... it really is amazing to be able to see them so tiny!!!

Glad that you had a great visit at the hospital. It's so nice when everything goes right. Luckly you didn't have to wait very long either. With my GP i have to wait at least 30mins after my scheduled time!

Hey Deb so glad everything went so well with your scan!! It must have been sooo exciting!

Oh and don't even mention taking a days leave UNPAID!! Your sick leave is an entitlement, and you have days specifically for these appointments so use them!
    We work hard enough without giving up salary for things we specifically have entitlements for. I know how u feel tho...it's a very guilt ridden job we work in...but like I said...these days that u can have off for appointments during your pregnancy are part of your entitlements!!
    Hope i don't sound aggressive about that point I just get cross that we are made to feel so guilty and bad for going on about our lives! The school will cope with splitting the grade...and so will the kids!

yay yay yay!!

That is fabulous - the buzz is pretty insane huh?
    The scans are great so much clearer than mine were, but I guess 3cm and a sleeping baby makes a difference! Ole ADD Spuddy just couldn't sit still!
    Hope the high continues all week and into next!

Fi

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks Ambah, Tegan, wannaBmum and Fi!

Fi, had to laugh at the "ADD Spuddy".
    I was honestly thinking that Little Nobba would be moving around a little more but there doesn't seem to be all that much room in there from the scans. Like you said, Spud was 3cms and Little Nobba was 8cm so a bit of a difference there. I just hope that means that Little Nobba is going to be a placid baby! Highly unlikely as it is bound to be a feisty red-head like it's Daddy!

wannaBmum - I totally agree with you about the sick leave thing but I just don't have all the much left! I have used quite a bit of it so far and I want to save some days for if I an genuinely sick. Don't want to use it up just for Dr. appointments. So it's on a purely selfish level that I want to take unpaid leave iykwim? I don't think they will let me n e way. All I have to do is get through 11 weeks and that's it! I tell ya what, I will be counting!

YAY Deb \/

So glad your appointment went well & you had nice Drs & midwives. See all that worry about what they were going to say over nothing But I think worrying about everything is a part of being pregnant!

Maybe Nobba was sleeping when you had your scan? And I noticed his/her back was turned, so maybe you aren't meant to find out boy or girl!!!

That's great that your appointment went so well - makes a heap of difference doesn't it?

Deb, I can totally understand u wanting to keep some days for the 'legit' sick days...my gosh i have no more uncertificated days left...i can't believe i have used all 5!! But with 2 family weddings and handover of our house and all the things in between....like someone has to be home when flooring has to be laid etc etc (all the joys of building)...they have just disappeared!!
    Just do whats right for you matey!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Oh I forgot to mention too, the midwife was having a look at my previous blood tests and when she saw the BHCG test she said 'Wow, you were REALLY, REALLY pregnant!". Apparently the HCG levels were really high. MAN! I wish the Dr. had told me that! Would have been nice to know back in the early stages where we all tend to worry about miscarriage etc. Ah well. Any wonder he laughed at me when I asked for another BHCG at 10 weeks,
    Also, she said that I have lots of Haemoglobin so I am nowhere near anaemic. Gotta love the useless bits of info you pick up on the way hey?? lol