Thread: Pain near my belly button

Unhappy Pain near my belly button

I have a pain on the right handside of my tummy, right next to my belly button. it is very tender to touch and sore when I'm not touching it. I don't know what it is from. I havn't hit my tummy or bumped into anything and it is starting to worry me a little. Do any of you know what it might be?

Hi Rustygirl
    If it feels a little like a bruise then it has been caused by the swelling of your belly and is nothing to worry about.

Rustygirl,
    Im so glad you posted this, I had it with my DS1 and it was very annoying. Although i did have a hernia in my navel too, so i thought it was that. Well well, Thanks Alan for answering.
    Oh what i did was cupped my hand over it when it was excruciatenly(sp) painful and it seemed to work.
    Goodluck with your pregnancy..

I had this for several weeks around the 20 week mark. Dr suggested it could be a hernia (which it wasn't). I read lots of books & internet articles & no one seemed to mention it as a pregnancy symptom - but it can really hurt huh?

Anyway, I found that I was sorer when I had been really active during the day & used ice packs on days when I was really sore. I think it was probably just from my belly stretching - it is my first & I was not that big to start with It got better after a month or so, once my belly was stretched I guess!

Hi Rustygirl...I had a similar pain last week. I told my ob about it on Monday at my appt and she said it was perfectly normal and due to my belly stretching and growing and I should expect more pains in the coming months!

i had similar thing as well. My obs said i had tore my stomach muscles, and that i must be carefull when getting up out of bed, or out of the car etc not to use my stomach muscles... ie.. use my arms to lift and push myself as required.
    And sometimes, support your belly when sneezing.

Thanks Girls and Alan. Yeah it does feel like a bruise, so that is good to know that it is just my tummy swelling!!
    I do tend to use my tummy muscles cause most of the time I am getting up to go to the toilet and am half asleep and forget. I have to remember that everything is changing in there and I have to be more careful. Thanks so much for the help. I feel alot better and convinced that stretching or swelling is all it is.