Thread: Painful Braxton Hicks 5 mins apart.

Default Painful Braxton Hicks 5 mins apart.

Hi everone,

I am 26 weeks 3 days, and have been having painful bh for the last 4 days. I have timed them and on each occasion they have been 5 mins apart. The first few days they lasted for a little over 3 hours then yesterday they continued even after taking panadol and I had some in the middle of the night and still some thismorning. Later today I haven't had any. My son was born at 35 weeks after PTL started at 33 weeks. But I didn't experience bh with him I just got a show and then promed.

I noticed that there was a midwife in another thread and wondered what your thoughts were. I plan that if they start again today to call the hospital.

Any thoughts anyone?

Jaime

Hi Jaime

It is quite unusual for B/H to last so long early in your pregnancy. I would also be a lillte concerned about then being 5 minutes apart. B/H do not usually come this regularly. I think it would be a good idea to go to the hospital for a check up should the contractions start again

As Alan said, unusual for this stage and i would definately get it checked out, considering your history, even if to just put your mind at rest. But have you been doing anything to bring it on? like mowing the lawn, exercise etc.

Keep us posted Jaime

Hi Alan & Sherie,

Thank you so much for your reply, and so quickly too. I will definately go to hospital if it starts again today. I have been really worried today and I know that this is TMI but since you are a midwife I'm sure you can handle it.

This morning in the shower because I had been experiencing these BH I felt for my cervix and to tell you the truth (if I felt the right thing) it felt very soft and squishy not hard like it used to. Does your cervix soften normally at this stage in pregnacy, or is that unusual.

Sherie: No I have been pretty much lying on the couch for weeks as Ob suggested that I should be doing that especially after Nathan arrived early.

Thanks again
    Jaime

Hi Jaime

I would expect your cervix to feel a little like the tip of your nose at this time in your pregnancy.
    I think plenty of rest is a good idea and no housework until you get checked out.

Hi Alan,

Thanks again, that's what I thought. Even if I don't have any more contractions today I will be calling my ob tomorrow so that I can get checked out. I'll keep you posted.

Jaime

Hi Alan,

I saw my ob today and he has put me on Nifedipine twice daily until 34 weeks to stop the contractions and total bed rest. As for the cervix, he said that it was still closed and not particularly effaced (whatever that means) but it is definately better than I thought it would be. Thanks for your support.

Jaime

Jaime, I hope everything is OK with you and bubs, you must be feeling worried right now. Make sure you take it easy and if your DH isn't doing everything for you I'll come over and set this emoticon on him :smt079 .

I hope everything is ok. glad it isn't too serious.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your support. I am feeling more confident now that I know these tablets can help halt or slow preterm labour. Ob said that I may still have another premature baby but if the medication doesn't work he said that I should go straight back to see him. Dh is really helpfull, and has so far been very supportive. Now if I could just control my toddler everything would be great!! 8-[

Cheers
    Jaime

Hi Jaime

You should do nothing for the next 10 weeks
    No washing
    No cooking
    No cleaning
    Just rest :sleeping:

How blissful does that sound!!! Has DH got any annual leave owing? Maybe he could be the SAH dad, and you can sleep all day
    I hope the medication does the trick - stay in there little baby!!!!
    Fi

Good luck Jaime - all the best with keeping your little bubba in there as long as you can!!!