Thread: Painting in 2nd Trimester

Default Painting in 2nd Trimester

Hi Ladies,

I have the glorious job of finishing painting the arcatraves (sp?) in our house i started 4 months ago (b4 i was pregnant). Was wondering if it is okay to paint this stage in pregnancy ? I avoided it in 1st Trimester for obv reasons.

mbear, i dont think it should be a problem. just make sure you take the usual precautions, ie: well venilated area and dont overdo it, but otherwise...happy painting!!

Linda

We're painting at the moment, and I asked in the paint shop and was told to avoid oil-based paint as they have more chemicals. They said water-based are still not great, but as long as it's well ventilated and I'm not around it for too long at a time it's ok.

Thanks girls. I hope to finish it in a day (Friday) and like you both said, will have both front and back doors open and any near windows....mmmm what fun !!!

It's not actually the odours that are a concern, although they can be unpleasant... it's more that paint contain things like formaldahyde and other chemicals, which still get breathed in even if you can't smell them.

We're painting at the moment aswell, I've just gone to check on DP at various times and tried not to stay in there for too long at a time.

If you can wait till 2nd trimester it's better... the chemicals are of greatest concern in the developmental stages of your first 14 weeks...