Thread: pap smear

Default pap smear

hey girls on friday the 9th of dec i had my first hospital vist and my doc told me that on my next vist on the 6 th jan i am to have a pap smear cos i havent had one in the last two years but i dont want then to go any wear near there as i dont want them to hurt my bay can i refuse to have one
    has any one had a pap smear at 14 to 15 weeks

I had one at 8 weeks and all was well.

No mention of pap smears from either my gp or OB. I don't remember being asked when my last one was.. and I don't actually remember! 8-[

But what would they do if they found something on the pap smear? It'd have to wait until after bubs anyway wouldn't it?

I was due for one when I was pregnant with my first - but my GP said I was fine to leave it until after baby was born if I was more comfortable with that. Apparently there is a very very marginal risk associated with it, which, because it was my first I wasn't willing to take (worried 1st time mum to be and all that). I just had it done at my 6 week check when dd was born. Mind you, after all the prodding around they do anyway, I probably wouldn't object if they advised me to have it done.

This time round there has been no mention of it at all, even though I know I'm due for it.

Bel

I had one at my first hospital appointment and as unpleasant as they are, it didnt harm my baby in anyway. I was terrified it would cause a miscarriage but the doctor assured me it was safe. Her words were, 'The only thing not safe here is to not have a pap smear done'. I was 10 weeks along I think.

I had one done when I was 12 weeks pg and everything was fine.

hey ladies

thanks for your replys they are a lot of help

My yearly smear (coz of pre-cancerous cells previously removed) was due in my first tri, however I had bleeding from 6-11wks & GP said she wasn't going to go near the cervix of a bleeding pg woman & to see my obgyn. My obgyn said to wait til after birth... :-)

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by delta_blue
    I had one at my first hospital appointment and as unpleasant as they are, it didnt harm my baby in anyway.
    I was the same but didn't even think of being scared!!! My first OB appt was just last week and I was nearly 10 weeks. They did a pap smear because I was due for one in March. I guess they thought they'd just do it now.

I mean they only scrape cells from the cervix. They don't go near the baby (not that I'm aware of anyway!). In fact, most of my pregnancy books say you may have a pap smear at your first examination. So it's totally normal.

I had some spotting afterwards but it didn't scare me - I assumed that would happen after the internal prodding around the OB did!!!

And I saw bubs on screen and he/she looked fine.