Thread: Pica

kerry Guest

Default Pica

Hey has anyone else had wierd cravings?

Anyone wanted to chew wiper blades? (OK this isn't me but the OB told me he has hear of it and until he met me he thought that was the wierdest one)

So obviously I have Pica. Pica is when you crave eating wierd things that have no nutritional value, like dirt. I was wondering if anyone else has this or has had this and what it was that they craved.

For me there are 2 wierd cravings:

1. Licking or sucking burnt match heads. Not the charcol wood bit but the little bit that makes the match light when it is struck. I am up to nearly a packet a day. My ob has put me on magnesium phosphate tablets and we will just see how that goes.

2. I like the smell of petrol. I'm not sniffing it or drinking it just topping up my car once or twice a day. I have been told to stop this and only fill up once a week then travel without my purse or cards so I don't have the opertunity.

So fess up.... any one else out there or am I the only wierdo on BellyBelly?

Hey!

I useto eat/lick burnt match heads when i was a kid..... yummm

Ive been tempted, but to embarassed too give it a go incase Timmy finds out....... :-$

kerry Guest

Thanks Em, I don't feel so much like a freak now.

One of my girlfriends is 6 months pregnant and has been getting cravings to eat soap etc but she has been told that it is perfectly normal (and to avoid eating the soap of course )

Wow I've not heard of that!! But I have to say it takes all my might not to sniff the petrol fumes when I fill up, but then again, I've always been like that. Can't say I've had any other weird cravings though. The wiper blade one is certainly strange!! xo

I've always loved the petrol smell too.

But my wierd ones are smells more than foods.

I have a dettol bath and use half a bottle each bath.
    Eat about 9-12 ice trays full of ice (obviously)
    Spray (more like drown ) myself in ICO impulse I go through a can in 2 night, I inhale the fumes and smell, till it's gone, then drown myself again.

Scary thing is though Im doing it now and Im not even pregnant, all of the above Im doing! Now that's weird!! #-o

Holy Molly!!! - I've never heard of this!!!

I'm the complete opposite can't stand the smell of anything unnatural or even natural come to think of it - Onion and Garlic is soooooooooooooooo yuk to me and my DH deodrant needs to be put on outside of the house....I haven't worn perfume in months

Wow this is definitely a new one for me - good luck girls 8-[

this thread made me giggle.. cause i've got these weird cravings too!

i'm 37 weeks today and they only came up in the last couple weeks... but lately i've had an incredibly overwhelming desire to smell cigarettes! i know it sounds disgusting and unhealthy but i just can’t get enough of it. i know passive smoking is really dangerous so i haven’t stooped that low, i’ll just smell the box when DH has a smoke or just grab one when he’s not looking and breathe in deeply! gosh, it’s weird!

to add to that list of strange cravings, i like petrol and the smell of leather seats in a new car. i'm not sniffing petrol now but i am sitting in DH’s beemer now just for the smell of it.. hahaha.. i’ve never been one to enjoy the scent of flowers and perfumes, and lately, those things have been making me want to throw up.

seeing that we didn't find out the sex of bubs, could it be a sign we’re having a boy?! hehe..

I knew someone who craved soap and licked it.

My craving were more fruit than anything. But i did like the smell of petrol too.

Apparently whatever you crave, your body is lacking.

Lee-Ann Guest

Well after I had my first daughter I ate nothing but ice, I was eating that much my OH was worried I'd grind my teeth down to nothing. I now put cordial/flavoured drink in the freezer to make it ice so I can eat it. I know that's not too weird. I haven't had any weird cravings but have heard of it before. When my cousin was 2-3 years old she use to eat egg shells and tea leaves out of the tea bags.

wow kerrie,

i have heard of these but never known anyone who actually suffered from it. i hope the magnesium works for you!!!

Well, yes ok girls...I confess...

I Loved to lick soap when I was pg, whenever I had a shower I had to leave soap on my hands and just let alittle bit, sort of ummm...fall into my mouth..I know how crazy is that??? Anyway, needless to say I am ok and hate soap normally, but the compulsion when pg is too strong.... [-X

Jan xx