Thread: Pins and Needles

Default Pins and Needles

Hi just wondering if anyone else is suffering from bad bouts of pins and needles at night while in bed.I have been woken just about every night the last two weeks with them in my hands, I can't even close my hand. Is it normal to suffer from pins and needles? And does anyone have any idea's as to what i can do to stop it from happening?
    Take care Leah.

I too suffered for pins and needles in my hands during pregnancy. I think it is due to fluid retention. Also i think it can be a signh of carpal tunnel.

I get pins and needles also not sure what to take to help.

Sorry i know not much help to you but you are not alone.

yup, i get it too. Asked my OB about it, said it is a bit of carpal tunnel syndrown. should disappear once you have had the baby if you didnt have it before hand.

try to elevete your wrists a bit higher than your body at night and that should help a bit.

Yep - I'm gettin' it too. Doc says it's carpal tunnel, and reasonably common in pg. It's annoying waking up with numb, tingling hands. Just try not to lie your head on your hand or arm while sleeping if you can help it...If it gets worse, you can get a splint to wear at night...

Oh I'm soooo with you on the pins and needles thing!!

It's carpal tunnel and I found that if I moved my hand and fingers is eased off. Also try elevating your hand (like Min suggested) and it will most likely dissappear.

It will go a while after bubs is born.

Best wishes

i get pins and needles all the time too
    even if i just reat on my hand for 2 seconds i start to get them.

not sure how to help them though

take care
    Lesley

Melinda Guest

I had bad CTS whilst I was PG and it's due to fluid retention. It disappeared about 4 - 5 weeks after Jacob was born. Unfortunately for me, it got to the point where I had pins & needles and numbness in all of my fingers, except for my 2 little fingers. It was really hard to do anything!! I hope that none of you get to this point!!!

It is a sign of carpal tunnel - as the other girls have said. Mine have gotten worse as the pregnancy progressed. I had to leave worked early as I couldn't write or type for long periods. Now the only typing I can do is on BellyBelly.

I drove to the other side of Melbourne last week and after that I decided no more driving, my hands were so sore.

My ob has told me there is nothing that I can do and that it will go away a few weeks after baby arrives.

I just hope it doesn't get any worse for you!

Hi Westy,

Yep, like everyone has said, it's carpal tunnel.

I often get it at night and wake up with the tingles. I just extend my arm fully up in the air and rotate my wrist until it's gone which only take about 5 seconds, 10 max.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Rachel

I have carpal tunnel as well My Dr suggested splinting my hands while in bed should help - they have to be bent slightly towards your elbow to allow the fluid to come back out of the carpal tunnel.

Apparently the carpal tunnel is the bit that (sorry can't think of another way to explain it) is cut during suicide. When you sleep you generally have your hands folded over & the fluid can't get back out which causes the retention & hence the pain. If you can bend your hands the other way, with a splint or hanging them over the side of the bed, you shoudl get some relief.