Thread: Pre Baby stuff!

lucysmummie Guest

Default Pre Baby stuff!

we went to the midwife last week and everything was fine so thats not what im worried about!

The thing is she gave us all these pamflets on imunisation like vitamin k and hep B the ones they get just after they're born and i just wasnt ready for it! its a bit scary having to get ready to look after someone other than myself i though my mum was suppose to make those dissisions....

Does every one do it? i thought u had to get ur baby imunised??? is it bad if they dont get imunised?

PLEASE dont get all huffy and make rude comments on this Im a young mum 2 b and just want some reassuring advise from mothers who have been there!!!

Kate84 Guest

Hi! I was a young mum too. 19 when i had Kaylem. It is very important to get your child immunised, for the baby's health but also, your not likely to get a childcare service that will except them and possibly the same for primary school.

For the fisrt immunisation, have somebody with you, makes it a bit easier, i know it doesn't sound very nice.

Hope I've helped

lucysmummie Guest

yeah thanks I will get it done just wasnt sure if people did it or not! thanks again... its hard bein young sometimes...

Leah - Here`s some information for you:

Injections for newborn babies - why they're important

Summary: A guide to two injections given to newborn babies in hospital. These are an injection of vitamin K to help prevent a serious disorder called Vitamin K Deficiency Bleeding, and an injection to immunise the baby against hepatitis B.

Text: Parents need to know about two injections for newborn babies. One is an injection of a special vitamin (vitamin K). This helps prevent a rare, but serious disorder called Vitamin K Deficiency Bleeding (or VKDB). The other injection immunises babies against a liver disease, hepatitis B. Babies can have both injections in hos-pital after they're born. Injections in public hospitals are free.

Why do babies need vitamin K?
    Without enough vitamin K, new babies risk getting VKDB. This can cause serious bleeding which may involve the brain.

Do all new babies need vitamin K?
    Yes. Newborn babies may not have enough vitamin K in their bodies to prevent VKDB. But by six months of age, they usually build up their own supply.

Is vitamin K always given by injection?
    It can be given by injection or by mouth. An injection is more convenient because it's one dose only and lasts for months.

Babies need the injection if:
    They're premature or sick
    their mothers took medication in pregnancy for epilepsy, blood clots or TB. (Tell your doctor or midwife if you take any of these medications).

Vitamin K can be given by mouth but the effect does not last as long. It means the baby needs three separate doses:
    at birth
    at three or five days after birth
    at four weeks of age

NOTE:
    This third dose is very important for parents to remember! Without it, the baby may not be fully protected.

This dose must also be repeated if the baby vomits.

Does vitamin K have side effects?
    Vitamin K has been given to babies in Australia since 1980 and Australian health authorities believe vitamin K injections are safe. Although one study suggested a link between vitamin K injections and childhood cancer, six other studies have found no link.

Must I agree to give my baby vitamin K?
    It's your choice. But doctors strongly advise all babies have vitamin K. This in-cludes babies who are sick or having surgery (including circumcision). Parents who decide against vitamin K should look out for any symptoms of VKDB. These include:
    unexplained bleeding or bruising
    any yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes after three weeks of age.

Babies with these symptoms should see a doctor (even if they've had vitamin K).

Why do babies need hepatitis B immunisation?
    Hepatitis B is a serious disease caused by a virus affecting the liver. Some people with this virus may have no symptoms or only mild symptoms. But up to 25 per cent of people affected may get serious liver disease later in life, especially if they caught hepatitis B as children. Immunisation helps prevent this.

How is hepatitis B spread?
    The virus lives in body fluids (blood, saliva and semen). Babies whose mothers have hepatitis B have a very high risk of being infected with the disease at birth.

Other ways in which hepatitis B can be spread are
    if blood from an infected person comes into contact with your blood. This in-cludes: contact through cuts or scratches; contact with contaminated needles or syringes when injecting drugs; contact with contaminated instruments such as those used for body piercing
    through sexual contact with an infected person

Why immunise babies at birth?
    It's important to start hepatitis B immunisation as soon as possible after birth to make sure that the immunisation is as effective as possible. Babies need three further hepatitis B injections - at two months, four months and six or 12 months of age. They are given with other routine childhood immunisations.

Must my baby be immunised?
    It's your choice, but health authorities strongly advise it.

Do hepatitis B injections cause problems?
    Serious side effects are rare. The most common problems are soreness where the injection was given, mild fever and joint pain. See your doctor if you're concerned.
    HTH

As it says it`s up to the parent and you have to sign a consent form for the Dr/Midwife to give baby the injection, also at 3 days old your baby will have a heal ***** again you have to consent to it, then it`s just the usual vaccines.

lucysmummie Guest

thansk dee thats great!!

Default Re: Pre Baby stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by shinee
    The thing is she gave us all these pamflets on imunisation like vitamin k and hep B the ones they get just after they're born and i just wasnt ready for it! its a bit scary having to get ready to look after someone other than myself i though my mum was suppose to make those dissisions....
    You are right about mum making the decisions, but YOU are the mum now Immunisation is very important and protects your baby against some very nasty diseases. I will definitely be doing this. I can't remember if you're in Australia? We apparently get extra money from the government for making sure our babies get all the immunisations they need.

lucysmummie Guest

I knowits scary when I think IM the mummy now...WEIRD!!! thansk I think I will be gettin it done better safe than sorry and the info really helped!!!

Hi shinee

There are some side effects of the injections but these are very uncommon.

Vit K Flushing, sweating

Hep B slight fever, insomnia, irritabillity, and joint pain.

As I said all these side effects are uncommon and they only last a short time. These 2 injections are usually given soon after birth and I ask mum if she wants to be there when I do the injections. Most mum's prefer not to watch. I agree with what all the other girls have said about why you should get your baby immunized but I beleve that you have a right to know all the possable side effects of these injections.

The thing i look at Leah is the possible side effects versus what it would mean to have my child with that illness or disease - the side effects are one in hundreds or hundreds of thousands where as if you don't immunise then your child is rather likely to become ill, but it is up to you to decide and weigh it up for your baby.

about the extra money for immunising your child... you get about $220, if my memory isnt too affected by pg brain. once you've done the 18m needles, the nurse send off a form and about 4w-give up to 8, apparently, the money goes into the same account your family tax benefit does. either that, or you get a check, when the 18m needles are done, just ask the nurse, or the child immunisation register, their offices are normally at medicare. well, mine is anyway!! makes life easy. anyway, hope this helped out...

Maddy had both her Hep B & Vitamin K injections in hospital and slept through both of them.