Thread: puffy feet

Default puffy feet

im 23 weeks now and my feet feel so swollen. they dont really look puffy but some of my shoes are tight and they feel swollen. my rings dont fit on my hands either but somedays they do. i thought it was a combo of the weather and pregnancy. Is this normal? i just want winter to hurry up now so my feet will go down a bit haha

Hey Sarak

I'm 21 weeks...and have the same thing...

One of the things that I have really found has helped is getting my DH to massage my feet/ankles...and in particular, massage in an upwards direction (e.g. up towards my leg)...within a few days, the swollen ankles decreased in size markedly!

Thanks Caro for the tip on that...it really works!

another great tip is to increase your water intake as well...

Last pg i was like a power puff marshmellow as DH called me.....and it would not go down... i thought once DD was born it would go too......but up to 5 weeks later i was still puffy in my feet.

All i found helped was elevate ur feet as much as possible and dont stand on them for long periods of time.

hi there,
    i have enjoyed the same my ob says its all about fluid retention in my case
    if yours is due to the same the water and feet up things definitely helpI
    I have also had success with:
    1. reducing salt
    2. increasing circulation by doing a bit of exercise i have been doing either walking or preggo water aerobics and have noticed after doing exercise (TMI coming) i come home and "wee out" a heap more water than i consumed during the exercise - and notice almost an immediate reduction in pressure on my hands and cankles! Usually i do go straight to bed and put my feet up afterward too.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    B

I suffer from a similar problem when PG (Not yet but I know it's coming!) and I try to rest with my legs elevated. While you have them up point and flex your feet up and down, this causes your calf muscles to squeeze and assists with circulation back up your legs (incidently this is the exercise they get you to do in the plane to prevent thrombosis as it really gets the circulation going).

Good luck, I know how uncomfortable this can be.