Thread: Pull in Side of Tummy

Default Pull in Side of Tummy

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but I just want some advice.

I think I pulled a tummy muscle last night in bed. I went for a wee, got back into bed and laid how I would normally - half on my side and half on my belly with my leg out to the side (I hope this makes sense). After a while I stretched out and rolled over. Half way around I felt this massive pull in the side of my tummy just above the hip bone. It really really hurt. I managed to roll onto my side and after a while the pain went away. I'm not sure what happened but I remember feeling what I thought was flutters after I got back into bed but now I'm thinking that maybe it was the muscle contracting after being stretched out waiting for me to wee and then rolling over stretched it out too quickly.

I'm going to try and hold off seeing anyone until tomorrow when I have my appointment with the hospital so hopefully everything is OK. I'm just a bit concerned now. Has this happened to anyone else?

Kelly - I`m not sure what it is, I just put it down to the uterus as I get it quite often and did with my first pregnancy, it seems to be mainly when I turn over in bed like yourself that the pain comes and I often find it will be tender in the area for a little while.

I get this all the time, especially if I turn over in bed or move the wrong way too fast. It doesn't usually continue to hurt though after the first few minutes. It's just stretching of ligaments etc.

Ally Cat Guest

It happens to me all the time too......I put it down to the fact that all those muscles are changing and stretching and tighter than usual so that's why the skin/muscles aren't as flexable as they were and pull. It's not fun tho, i know!!!! But nothing to worry about I don't think.......

I've had a bit of this in the last week, even when sneezing so I really have to brace myself for it.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Me too - I had this very sharp pain above my left hip bone when I sneezed the other day, since then, it hurts sometimes when I roll over in bed. I was going to see my Dr. but now I don't think I need too - thanks girls!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I posted about this exact same thing a while back, and it did turn out to be a round ligament muscle that was the culprit. I did some aquanatal classes, which helped, plus when it was really bad, I used a support belt. But to be honest, it never really went away and I still have it today. In fact, in the last couple of nights, it's started on the other side of my tummy too so there's no relief from it whichever way I sleep.

Kelly (bubseykel) I don't use my support belt anymore (makes no difference to me now) so if you'd like it, give me a bell and I'll put it in the mail for you. I always used it over my clothes so it's creased but not grotty! Lol!

Some days the 'stitch' is so bad it takes my breath away. Ah, the joys of being pg! Lol!

love
    sushee

I have the same problem and have spoken to a few DRs as i have had this since i was 4 weeks. its most likely ligaments being streched to fit the baby. i found taking a bit of time to role over in bed and getting up slowly will lessen the pain but also be careful when you sneeze or cough as you can pul a ligament then too

hope it help

Chantal25

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Kel (bubsykel),

Just wanted to quickly let you know that I haven't mailed the support belt yet! It's been a hell of a week (story in PGALTTTC, if you're interested) but i'll be getting it off in the mail today.

I'm sorry hun! Hope you haven't been too uncomfy!

love
    sushee

I'm sorry to hear about your DD Sushee. I can't believe people can do things like that. Don't worry - just post it when you can. I've been having a bad day today - feels like I'm going to explode out of my belly!!

I've had a bit of a bad trot too with the police but for the wrong reasons. My bro has been arrested and charged for something he hasn't done. I'm not going to go into any details but it's stressed me out too.

Try and rest up as much as you can (I've been given that advice too) and hopefully when I hear from you it will be for happier reasons.

Take care,
    Kel

Hi - I know I have already posted a message for you but I think I know the exact pain you are talking about. I did the same thing. I got out of bed to pee and when i was heading back to bed it felt like a bad pull in the muscle just above my left hip. I had to get DH out of bed to help me back and get comfortable but in the morning it was fine. I will be talking to DH mother on Monday (she is a physio) and i will see what she says and let you know if you like

Thanks Chantal - that would be good. It's interesting to see what they would say. I'm going for a checkup on Wednesday again so I'll ask the midwives then too and see what they say.

Hi Bubseykel,
    Just got of the phone from my MIL (the physio) and she said that it sounds like the baby was hitting a nearve. this would explain the sudden tempory pain. when the baby moves off/away from the nerve the pain should stop.
    hope this helps