Thread: purchases

Default purchases

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious when other people are planning on buying stuff for their babies. I'm 18 weeks and we've laybyed the cot and pram and I bought some singlets and bodysuits today. I'm just not sure what to buy really and when. I'm conscious of not overspending as I'm not working at the moment and know people will give us things when the baby is born or at the baby shower.

I'm starting to do my research now, making a top 1 or 2 of things I would like, such as pram, baby carrier, change table.
    Then I can start to save and also keep an eye out for if they come on special.
    Might also advertise to the parents/PIL's a couple of weeks before we buy just in case they want to contribute O
    Already inherited a crib, and will inherit a cot, so might also wait and see if anyone else has things to pass on. Although I really would like to buy my pram relatively new, since I want it to last for more than 1 child

So yeah, for now I am researching and saving, but sitting tight until I get a clearer idea of what I want/need.

Hi there,

We started buying some clothes after we found out the sex of our baby.. most other furnature we're getting from my sister.. but in my own opinion.. wait till there are sales. Thats what we're doing. Target had a baby's clothes sale last week and toys r us have a nappy sale atm. Same when it comes to all the rest, furnature etc. Laybe it all when the sales are on. If youre 18 weeks there will still be plenty of time to buy stuff, and plenty of sales! Even if you save $10, thats still $10 in your pocket. Just buy things as you see them on sale. That way you can still get everything you want and save money in the process

I started at about 34 weeks. Just didnt' feel the need to get anything sooner. With number 1 I was the same. Didn't buy clothes until after she was born though.

I went and laybyed everything when i was 18 weeks. we didnt want to have to rely on people just incase we did not get everything. I now have all the nursary items and have been buying wipes and nappies as they come on special when i do my weekly shopping. I have also made a list of small and cheaper items people can buy for us if they want to get us something.

We waited for the Christmas sales and then after Christmas sales hehe - so I was around 20 weeks when we put a few of the bigger things on layby. I held off on a lot until the baby shower (which was hard!) as I didn't want to double up on stuff. It worked out alright for me because I moved in February so I couldn't set too much up so I just had to sit tight and wait until we were settled in the new place otherwise I think I may have been a little like Tulip LOL... :smt016

Tulip, our baby room was set up by 20wks as well. Wish I could claim it was me; but as my PILs were going away for 6 months at the time, it was their present to us for Madeline. We picked the furniture & furnishings, they paid for it and set it up.

As for the rest, I just collected it as I went at sales. I wish I had stocked up a little more on nappies - those Huggies boxes are great when they're on sale at $29.95.

Plus, we were so excited to discover Maddy was a girl at the 20wk ultrasound that we just had to go out and buy some baby girl clothes. *L*

The good thing about pregnancy is that it gives you tons of time to do your research for the big products ie. furniture, pram, car seat etc.

thanks everyone. just goes to show it's really a personal/individual thing.