Thread: Restless Leg Syndrome

Default Restless Leg Syndrome

Is anyone else suffering from restless legs at night in bed while trying to get to sleep?

I have had restless legs since before my BFP but they are gradually getting worse, I can`t get to sleep at night until it settles, it drives me mad. I had it with my first pregnancy too but I don`t think it was this bad or perhaps I can`t remember :-k

Does anyone know what I can do to try and prevent it?

I`ve searched on the net but all the remedies are for people who aren`t pregnant, I did find that one in four pregnant women will suffer with it during pregnancy.

Take Care

Deeanne

i have this too.. i had it occassionally before i was pregnant but it has definately gotten worse. the last couple of days it has felt like my whole body has it lol. I find that DP rubbing my feet helps, it keeps them moving enough without feeling like they are iykwim.
    I would like to hear other peoples remedies too.

Sorry I don't have a remedy for it but suffer from it. I never had it until I was pregnant and always thought it was because I over did it during the day.

I'll do some research too and see what I can come up with.

*Yvette* Guest

YES!!! Me! I do! I fully sympathise Deeanne but I have no answers for you I'm sorry to say.

My RLS is always worse when I'm pregnant, and worse when it's hot too.

Amanda I've also felt like I had it all over at times too, not just in the legs. It's very obviously in my arms too sometimes, an incredibly weird feeling.

I've had this since I was about 9 years old. I've been a bit overweight & a bit underweight, and it makes no difference. Flat shoe wearing makes no difference. Massage & movement makes no difference. I don't have any varicose veins or anything, and it doesn't matter whether I've been sitting or standing.

The only definate thing I can say is I get it worse when it's hot, much worse!

I do have magnesium tablets, but can't honestly say I've tried them properley because I have spells where I seem to get it often, & sometimes I don't get it for a while so I forget about it.

But when I do have it, it's very very annoying and uncomfortable!! I often find I'm fine for a while when I first go to bed, then after about 2 hours it will start up. Infuriating!!!

Will be very interested to read other people's experiences with this. I've googled it before and not really found much help, I don't think it's really understood what causes it.

Fraser Guest

Dee I get it too - sometimes a leg rub helps - I don't know if it's the shock that DH is actually giving me a leg rub or the leg rub itself - but it helps.

I also find a heat pack on my legs helps too - but with the heat that you've been having in SA it may be more annoying than useful!

I get this quite frequently too, mainly when pregnant. I don't know what causes it but the only thing that works for certain is taking a paracetamol tablet. Just one, even though the recommended dose for adults is usually 2. (Apparently paracetamol is safe but i don't like taking medicine if I can avoid it even when i'm not pregnant). This reliably (for me) takes about 20 minutes to work and it doesn't come back for the rest of the night. It's a truely wretched condition and i even sometimes get it in my shoulders! meaning i can't lie on my side (or still at all). Hope this works for you!

Yay, there really is such a thing. I have been told that it can be hereditory(sp) My mum and g/pa had it. They actually put him on valium(sp) for it. Not good for us though. I have always talked about it to people and it is worst in pg but no one ever believed me. DH is great. We have found I am worse when my feet are hot sooo he wets a towel and we put it on my feet when going to bed.

It's like, if only I can keep my feet still long enough I will be able to go to sleep before the next wave comes. Panadole does nothing for me and even going to bed early as I lie awake til 11pm and what do you know, here comes the jumpy legs. Thanks Dee for starting the thread

Hi Dee,

I have suffered from RLS on and off pre pg it was worse when I lived in Qld so the heat must have something to do with it. I guess it's worse when ur pg because your body temp is increased from the extra blood flow or something....

Anyway, I was taking Magnesium tablets for it pre pg but don't really know if that made any difference also don't know if this would be safe to take during pg. Since moving back to Melbourne I have only really suffered with it during pg. I had it with my last pg almost all the way through and the only thing that seemed to eased it was my legs being rubbed / massaged. I have only had one bad day of it this time round and it was though the night so hopefully this pg I won't have it so bad.

I definately feel for all you guys that have constantly cause it can be very distressing.

xxdd

How is everyone going? Last night was a bad one for me. It was not very hot but the legs were worse than on 20 deg heat nights. I was even in bed by 10.30pm which was early for me.

*Yvette* Guest

The last few nights I've had it really bad. I blame the heat. Last night was not as bad. I'm finding my feet are really hot too. I keep getting out of bed and running my feet under cold water. Sometimes I take a cold face washer to bed with me to put on my feet. The worst is when it's in my arms as well and I just can't get comfortable.

Looking at portable air conditioners on eBay....

I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I've always had slight lower back pain, probably some congenital thing, right down in the coccyx, and when my RLS is worse I think my back pain is worse too. Usually it's hardly noticeable, but occasionally it gives me discomfort in bed which is quite annoying.

Anybody else have any other symptoms assiciated with their RLS?

I am another sufferer, during pregnancy and not during. I have had them for ages and couldn't quite work out why I was getting them, although I had plenty of remedies. Nice warm baths just before bed, sleeping with legs elevated and drinking a glass of tonic water every night. Also, eating a banana a day.

Then I was diagnosed with having coeliac disease, which is a food intolerance and it stopped! Yay! Then I got pregnant and they come back. But I keep them at bay with the remedies I mentioned and don't have them at all.

Just a mention too, there was plenty of other things going on that made be get tested for coeliac's disease so it wasn't just the restless legs so don't think that you have that just because it happened to be one of my symptoms.

*Yvette* Guest

Nooooooooo, please don't let me have dairy intolerance. The idea of going without dairy for even a day to try it is soooo scary to me. 8-[

I suppose keeping some kind of diary consistently is the best thing to do to try to pinpoint any triggers, but that just sounds soooo hard to me atm, I think I'll just continue complaining, lol.

Yvette, Were you worse with your pregnancy? I have noticed it more being pg. When non pg I found I was bad with it when I was not getting enough sleep, going to bed late or feet were too hot.

*Yvette* Guest

Yes, worse when pg, & my feet are always too hot atm.

Dee, Have you tried an iron sup? Helped me. Low iron can sometimes cause it.

Tanya

Tanya - No I haven`t tried an iron supplement, it could be worth a go.

The last few days it`s been cooler then what it has been - it`s been in the mid to high 20`s and my legs are much better so Yvette I think your right and the heat makes RLS worse.

DH told me that our elderly neighbour suffers from it and he`s going into hospital to have some veins taken out to see if that will help him. DH always thought I was crazy when I mention my RLS but all of a sudden after talking to the neighbour it`s made him realise it is a problem.

katrena Guest

Default Restless Legs

My mum has suffered from restless leg syndrome since her 30s and I unfortuantely seem to have inherited. She has a theory which seems to work - that if you don't drink enough water (1.5-2 litres) during the day the restless legs will be worse. I certainly find some truth in that. Hope it helps.