Thread: Salad

Default Salad

This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but...

I know you can't eat pre-made salads, but can you eat salad from a restaurant???

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can, I know that I have. But to be sure you should ring your OB/GP and get their view

Melinda Guest

I did! It wasn't something that happened very often - just the odd occasion.

The only salads I stayed away from and still do, are the prepackaged ones like you get at maccas or other fast food chains, I would say most restaurants would have very strict standards. The reason I don't like the prepackaged salads is because they can be packaged a few days in advanced, and you don't know how many days.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Avoid salads from salad bars as they may have been sitting there for a while, but anything you order at the table which is made up fresh is fine. They say to avoid mayonnaise unless you've made it yourself also in case it contains raw egg, but you could ask the waiter to check that with the chef.

Fruitwood Guest

I eat a lot of salad especially in the warmer weather and have found that anywhere that the salad is made fresh that day and kept to the right temperature is fine. Check with the waiter on whether the salad is freshly made at the restaurant as some places buy their salad's in big tubs and then tip them into bowls. I think this is more common with sauce base salads like potato and pasta salads and anything with mayo. Check with the wait staff if you are unsure.

Sharon

Yanno, i was reading UTD byt kaz Cooke, and I cant believe she says to wash your salads with detergent and water before eating...

Like...wash your lettuce leaves with detergent???

Come on....does anyone REALLY do this??

Fruitwood Guest

Yuk, detergent !!!. I always wash my lettuce with plain water when I'm cutting it up as sometimes there are little creepy crawlies in there but I can't imagine using detergent. I'd hate to find a bit of detergent left when I was eating, lol.

A tip my uncle's girlfriend taught me too is that if you don't rinse the soap suds off your glasses well when you wash them and some dry on the side of the glass it will make a glass of soft drink go flat in your glass or taste as bubbly.

I think the gas that they put in the pre-packaged safeway bag ones are not good for pg.