Thread: Scared

Default Scared

I had my 18-22 week ultrasound the other day and they found that the baby has only a 2 vessel umbilical cord and not a 3 vessel one. Does anyone know what this means and how it could affect the baby or myself? My really scared at the moment and i usually fear the worst as i am doing now so just need a little insight to what it is so i don't feel so scared.

Tegan, I'm so sorry to hear that you heard some unexpected news.
    I don't know anything about this, but did a search on the Internet for you.
    This is what I found:

Normally the umbilical cord has to arteries and one vein. If there is just two vessels that can mean, that there is just one artery. Therefore they call this condition "single umbilical artery" (SUA). Apparently it occurs in 0.5 - 2.5% of pregnancies.

They can be wrong about this and only a transverse axial section will determine whether it's really just two vessels or whether the two arteries fused together. (but of course you can't do that until after the baby is born - so that's not really useful right now)

The websites I checked all say that a detailed anatomic survey should follow. Has your doctor booked you in for any follow up examinations/tests or did he do anything during the appointment? You should talk to your doctor since he would know best what exactly they think is going on.

Love

Snowy

Tegan, I also found this on another site with forums.

Hi, I am posting this msg in the hopes of reaching out to others who have a single umbilical artery. When I found out I only had a 2 vessel cord at my 20 week ultrasound, I turned to the Internet for information, but did not find much - and I was scared throughout my entire pregnancy.
    I just want you to know the following:
    Make sure that they do a thorough check of all the organs at the Level 2 ultrasound, especially the kidneys. If there is nothing wrong at that stage, then most likely there will be nothing wrong with your baby developmentally.
    It is important that your doctor monitors you well as of week 32. This means going in for an NST (non-stress test) on a weekly basis. They check the baby's heart rate and how reactive it is, along with fetal movement, and level of amniotic fluid.
    It is also important to do the fetal kick count twice a day. Since you have 1 artery doing the job of 2, it could get tired and stop working... hence the fetus could go into distress and you would need to induce labor ASAP.
    As for me, all went well throughout the pregnancy. 4 days after my due date, during an NST visit, the doctor found that the baby was not as reactive as usual. So, he decided to induce labor. My baby could not handle the stress of the contractions and labor, so they decided to deliver by C-section barely 30 minutes after they started the induction.
    I gave birth to a very healthy boy (6lbs 2ozs and 19 inches).
    Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thanks for that. I have my doctors appt. on Friday which is taking its time to get here. I hope everything is o.k because i am still really scared.

Hey Tegan,

One of my friends up here had this problem, and I don't know all the details but she & the bub ended up being monitored closely throughout her pregnancy, from about 19 weeks.....

However both she and bub were absolutely fine: her little boy is now 5.5 months and he is very robust and she had no dramas during birth at all.

I know it is easier said than done, but try not to worry, & let us know how you go.........

Tegan, keeping my fingers crossed for you and bubs.
    I can imagine time must crawl until Friday!
    Try writing down all the questions you have and make sure to jot down answers from your doc on Friday. It's sometimes overwhelming when they come with all their medical lingo and you walk out just remembering bits of it and forgot about half of what they said.

Good luck for Friday

Love

Snowy

Oh Tegan I hope the time passes fast for you. XXOO

Good luck for Friday.

Jess

Thanks girls. I'm glad a site like bellybelly is here for me right now as it is much easier to type rather than talk about my problems and concerns. Thanks again heaps for listening, i really appreciate it!

Take care,

Orkids Guest

Good luck for today Tegan - we'll be thinking of you!

Good luck for tomorrow, Tegan!!

Love
    Snowy

Pietta Guest

Good Luck Tegan I'll be thinking of you.

Goodluck for tomorrow Tegan !!

Love :smt049